Second Skin Audio

Have you used FatMat?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used FatMat?

• Yes I have used FatMat (their base product)
    • Yes I have used FatMat Rattle Trap XXX
    • Yes I have used FatMat MegaMat
    • No
    • ... and it's still on
    • ... and it fell off
    • ... and I removed it because it was falling off
    • ... and I removed it because I wanted something better

It would be nice if you offered a better product at the same price!

We have a few things that work against us in terms of offering a cheaper product.

1. We use 100% butyl. Butyl (which is synthetic) is expensive compared to the cheaper alternatives that other companies use.

2. Our products are made in the USA. Keeping manufacturing here costs a lot more than going overseas or importing it from China, Russia, or Italy (the most common places that produce these materials). Of course the payoff of having it made here are HUGE since we can control the quality of the product better than most.

There are a few other reasons that add to the cost of our products, but I'm not going to get into those.

We are always working on keeping the cost down as much as possible.

Jeff, FatMat recommends using lighter fluid. Peel up an edge of the FatMat and apply some lighter fluid on the sheet metal and slowly peel it off. Not a fan of this method. A safer, cheaper, and more effective method is to use a heat gun or even a hair drier to get the FatMat nice and warm and just slowly peel it off using a scrapper or putty knife to help. Once the bulk of the material is off, clean the surface with some acetone or paint thinner and you'll be good to go.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

I did my truck in FatMat about 5 years ago. The floor is still holding up well. I havent looked up under the headliner so I am not sure whats going on up there lol. I bought it cuz it was pretty cheap at the time

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

ive used FatMat, Dynamat, and soon I'm getting alpha damp and some damp pro.

FatMat is just terrible all the way around.. like Jon said it smells and doesn't stick very long.

Dynamat is better than FatMat but i just want something better. I got the samples of alpha damp and damp pro Jon sent me and compared them to Dynamat. The alpha damp is WAY better quality than Dynamat, and LOL at FatMat compared to alpha damp.. damp pro and Dynamat are very similar but I feel that damp pro is going to be a little better quality.

The alpha damp is going on my roof and the damp pro is going everywhere else.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener

Bump this for a bit more feedback.

See that's the thing. Out of the three FatMat products I purchased for testing (one regular FatMat and two Rattle Trap XXXs), two of them smelled, the other one didn't. The one that didn't smell (one of the XXXs) was about two years old and you could tell that the adhesive was pretty shot too.

usa_render4.png

Voted for you. Had their base on a for a few years and got tired of it falling off. Removed It and installed some second skin and will never go back. Wish I could get all of the tar residue off of my trunk lid but have had zero luck in doing so.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Voted! Jon already knows my experience with Fatmat LMAO

Unfortunately yes...

Voted for you. Had their base on a for a few years and got tired of it falling off. Removed It and installed some second skin and will never go back. Wish I could get all of the tar residue off of my trunk lid but have had zero luck in doing so.

That seems to be the most common response. And the longer it was/is on there there harder it is to get the residue off.

I'd still love to hear from just one person who has used their MegaMat product...

usa_render4.png

• 2 weeks later...