DC Sound Lab

box for two XL15s

So I'm stepping up to the big boy leagues and am picking up two XL15s from CJ18 to replace my kickers lol. They will eventually be powered by a 5K once i can afford the extra battery and amp.

Until then I want to start designing and building the box and am looking for hints. It will be in the back seat of my truck bolted to the floor in place of 1/3 of my back seat behind the drivers seat. I have 22w 25h 36l to work with. Subs have to fire up and port can either be up or to the passengers side, if its port forward it'll be about 6" from the back of my seat if that's enough room. What do these like to be tuned to port wise? Its 100% daily system and will probably never be metered. Should the front baffle be doubled? This its gonna take a good amount of weird and I only wanna do it once and have it right the first time

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

I had mine in 5.8 cubes after displacement with two 6" aero ports tuned to 32 hertz on 5k an it got down pretty good. I was able to do hair tricks with everything in the trunk. ?. Before I sealed it off and flared the ports I hit 150db on an audiocontrol meter :(

06 300C 5.7 Hemi

K&N CAI

JVC KW-AVX640 6.1" DVD

DC Audio 3.5k

6 DC Audio 8"s

6 cubes 8" aero port at 32hrtz

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183798-chrysler-300c-8-build/?p=2731834#entry2731834

Haha thanks Cody, I was trying not to ask anymore questions that couldn't be asked on the boards lol

Any certain port area or tuning that you know these like? I was figuring 33hz?

lol

or you can just start hooking shit up together and blow up speakers and your amp

From my experiences with the XL 15s, especially with my current build, for 2 subs in 7ft3 after sub and port displacements I would use between 100-110in2 of port and tune in the 33-35hz range.

Dont worry about asking questions, I am here to help however I can.

How much smaller would you recommend making a box for a pair on a 3500 per 15? Just curious what you'd shrink the box down to. 3 sound about right?

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

How much smaller would you recommend making a box for a pair on a 3500 per 15? Just curious what you'd shrink the box down to. 3 sound about right?

3ft3 along with an upgraded spider pack and perfectly clean power and experience doing so is the only way I would ever say it is ok to do this. I personally wont ever run 3500w to an XL daily even though I know they can handle it, I do not like to push my equipment to the maximum of its thermal and mechanical capabilities. On the XL, i would recommend 2500w daily and you will be able to beat on it all day long.

Alrite does this sound right to everyone.

Two braces from side wall to side wal @ 20.5"

one brace from between the subs to the top of the port roof @ 17.75" (figuring the port to be in the ~5" range

one brace from end to end longwise @ 34.5"

Giving me a total of 93.25" of 1" dowel assuming my basic design so far is correct.

I also need to figure out how much space 45s take up. I know everything will be rounded and there "should" be roughly 6" of box after the port leaving perfect room for a 45 in the bottom corner so it doesnt phuck with port size at the entrance.

Can someone help me with the math on this so i can plug it into Torres?

93.25 x 1 of Dowel and what kind of space 4 45* corner pieces will take up.

I plan on running a dual front baffle, but Im going to flush mounth the subs so that the extra baffle doesnt affect box displacement

lol

to find 45s its just the area of a triangle X height, the displacement depends on how big your 45s are

area of triangle = 1/2base X height

volume of 45s = above X internal height of box

multiply that number by the number of 45s you will install then divide by 1728 to get cuft displacement

area of a circle is radius squared X 3.14

.5 X .5 X 3.14 = .785

.785 X 93.25 = 73.20125

73.20125 / 1728 = .042cuft of dowel displacement

TeamSundown-sig.jpg