Car died, wont start. Help =(

I'm not sure what your level of mechanical aptitude is, so please don't take offense if you already know what I'm saying. Also, I'm a mechanic and I have a pretty large diagram database if you happen to need one don't hesitate to ask. You can try putting the car in neutral, stick a ratchet on the crank bolt and see if the motor spins freely. Another simple diagnostic you can do is drain the oil and check for metal......there may be some very fine hair like shavings stuck to the drain plug which is pretty normal, you're looking for metal chunks and large shavings. If the motor does NOT spin, drop the starter to see if the starter is seized up. I could write you a book on what to check, but once you have checked those few things it will be easier to determine if you have a mechanical or electrical issue.....

Do you know anyone with an OBDII reader who will let you use it?

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

Edit....when you say the starter stops like it's in a bind.....does it continue to click or is it totally quiet? Is your car an auto or manual?

Just seen your edit, doesn't click at all it just goes quiet. Like for instance lets say it starts at 4 rpm and ends at 0 within a second or two.

And no offense taken whatsoever, I have some mechanical experience but just don't have the time or tools while i'm away at college. Next week is finals week so I'm kinda pressed for time.

Tomorrow I'm going to look over the electrical portion and maybe pull the valve cover if it has access to the timing chain. If I can't fix it with the little tool kit I have here, and it doesn't seem to be looking good, I'm going to use my last AAA tow to send it 75 miles back home to my brother to fix.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

I'm going to guess you spun a bearing, or broke your timing chain. I can't remember if that's an interference motor or not. You didn't feel a big jolt or anything? you could always drop your oil pan real quick and check all your bearings to see. I can get you "step by step" procedures from shopkey if you need it.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

Ok, 1st thing is a bad starter wont shut the car off when running. So what would make a car shut off,then hard to turn the engine over? Thats easy, there are only a couple of things that can do that if only 1 part caused it. So 1st thing is take the surpentine belt off then try and crank the engine,if it cranks freely then you have some pulley seized, spin each pulley( alt , ps , ac compressor ect...) If it still doesnt crank freely then it could be a crank sensor, the crank sensor could poss shut the car off and make the engine crank slow and hard just like the timing would be too far advanced.The next thing is if the timing chain jumped, not likely but not impossible.Worst case is for some reason the engine seized,again not likely but impossible.

this is the best response, its not a bad ground since the engine is not turning over or start when getting a jump, you better hope you didn't brake a rod for not having enough oil in engine

edit: by the way the starter does not have a ground wire connected to it since its already grounded to the engine. only thing connected to it is the battery cable and the ignition wire to the solenoid

Thanks for the responses. Fortunately the motor is non interference, unfortunately I can't see the timing belt from the valve cover as I initially thought I would. Looks like its getting sent home to be fixed.

EDIT: Now I'm reading that it is an interference motor. My brother found an engine for $300 with 30k original miles so I believe thats what we're going to do. He's going to look at it when it gets back home tonight to make sure its not something stupid but he and his mechanic friend are pretty certain its a timing chain.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, 1st thing is a bad starter wont shut the car off when running. So what would make a car shut off,then hard to turn the engine over? Thats easy, there are only a couple of things that can do that if only 1 part caused it. So 1st thing is take the surpentine belt off then try and crank the engine,if it cranks freely then you have some pulley seized, spin each pulley( alt , ps , ac compressor ect...) If it still doesnt crank freely then it could be a crank sensor, the crank sensor could poss shut the car off and make the engine crank slow and hard just like the timing would be too far advanced.The next thing is if the timing chain jumped, not likely but not impossible.Worst case is for some reason the engine seized,again not likely but impossible.

Winner! Finally got home after finals and was sick, pulled it into the garage tonight, popped off the belt and it fired right up. Turns out to be an a/c compressor which kinda pisses me off since i replaced it 2 years ago. But whatever, couldve been worse!

Thanks for everyone's help :drinks:

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

• 3 weeks later...

To those that helped in this post or anyone else with help. I have a 98 hyundai accent manual trans, similar experience has been parked going on a month heres list.

new timing belt

crankshaft sensor

camshaft sensor

fuel pump and strainer

fuel filter

fuel pressure regulator

ignition coil

coolant temp sensor

batteries always charged good.

car cranks just doesn't seem to want to fire up. spray starter fluid into throttle body but seems I still have no spark.

When it died the dd thing I saw was the coolant temp gauge rocked back and forth and would stay on H. disconnected battery and it no longer does that. I have a OBD2 scanner but it does not find any error codes???

Only thing I can think of is the MAF sensor and ECM.

anybody please help either here or through PM thanks. :popcorn:

VbjgkeI.jpg

c7HmdKx.jpg

To those that helped in this post or anyone else with help. I have a 98 hyundai accent manual trans, similar experience has been parked going on a month heres list.

new timing belt

crankshaft sensor

camshaft sensor

fuel pump and strainer

fuel filter

fuel pressure regulator

ignition coil

coolant temp sensor

batteries always charged good.

car cranks just doesn't seem to want to fire up. spray starter fluid into throttle body but seems I still have no spark.

When it died the dd thing I saw was the coolant temp gauge rocked back and forth and would stay on H. disconnected battery and it no longer does that. I have a OBD2 scanner but it does not find any error codes???

Only thing I can think of is the MAF sensor and ECM.

anybody please help either here or through PM thanks. :popcorn:

make your own thread.

ignition control module . have you checked to see if u have spark?

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Archived