Can u have a too big of alternator?

I'm planning on getting a 200 amp atlternator for my truck since I can't turn My music all the way up before distortion withoutmy voltage dropping below 12 volts.( I have a stock 100 amp now with a xs power battery) but I was woundering if It could damage my electrical system or battery if I decide to turn off my amps and have 200 amps going straight into my battery with nothing pull any power except my headunit?

why get a 200a alt when you dont need it, your car will do just fine with only the HU thats what the stock alt is good for,no it wont damage your electrical since it will only produce the amparage needed for your electrical

why get a 200a alt when you dont need it, your car will do just fine with only the HU thats what the stock alt is good for,no it wont damage your electrical since it will only produce the amparage needed for your electrical

apparently you didnt read..

hes getting a bigger alt becasue his system kills it now... he has enough smarts to keep it off before he fries everything..

so that puts him to jus stock for now not powering the system

He has amps. He said the voltage drops below 12 volts so he can't turn it up all the way. The OP is asking if when his amps are shut off and the car is running will the 200 amps hurt his battery since there is no load. the 200 amp alt will help solve this problem.

Edited by Dangrebel

1999 GMC Yukon, 6 PSI platform 5 18's, 4th order bandpass by BHE, Taramps,