Sonic Electronix

Im really not sure about your alternator pulley being hot. Mine gets pretty hot but really only under extreme loads like charging my batteries back up from a deep cycle. I was playing around with my belt today since i got out of class early and didnt have work and i think my alternator's bearing is taking a shit on me. I can grab it and it doesnt wobble or anything like that but no matter what direction i spin it, it will chirp. I took my belt off, sprayed the shit out of all the pulley's from what i could get to (didnt mess with my alt for the fear of getting grease in the wrong spot and ruining it) and even removed my idler pulley and it seems to move pretty easy. The alternator squeaked when i first got it from mechman but only if i spun the rotor backwards (counter clockwise) my engine turns clockwise so im not sure why its all of a sudden squeaking. Also it got warm a few days ago and it squeaked for a minute when i first started it up but then it was not squeaking the entire day. I do still have my problem where the tensioner likes to bob up and down when the engine is running so im really close to just removing that tensioner and putting a new one on. I didnt get to do what is in the videos of giving the belt a quick shot of water to see if the squeaking got louder or stopped. I really hope i dont have a mis-alinged pulley on my truck. I know when i got my mechman alt the pulley didnt seem recessed as far as my OEM alt because of the wear marks on my idler pulley which is right below the alt. The stock one seemed to be back a little where my mechman one is up to the front more.

Here is a video you might enjoy as it will help you troubleshoot and know what to look for with your belt:

Here is another:

Id give the water test a try because that will be a lot easier for you with getting on the road to recovery from your surgery and will help you diagnose it fast.

Damn go figure helping me then you get a squeak problem!! Id try and give you more ideas to help but your wayyyy ahead of me on this one. It does sound like the alt may need some lovin. My tensioner looks super loose and bobs up and down like crazy and the belt is sooo loose now that I know how its supposed to be. I can pull the belt with my hand and almost pull the tensioner all the way. Yours will probably need replacing too.

My idler pulley is stiff, even the new ones but if I loosen it, it feels like it could come off. When the engine starts and goes the pulley spins with no problems at all tho. Those videos were helpful, from there symptoms I have a tensioning issue, and mine is DEFINITELY a squeal not a squeak, a LONG squeal. But All my tension should have been right with a new spring tensioner (like they said). I think I need to get a caliper tool and check that power steering pump for alignment. The ones in the video looked way off, mine is mounted in the same visual position as there properly aligned one... So I dunno!! I am gonna change the water pump 2marro, then im gonna have to wait a few days and see if it works, unless it squeals immediately like it does alot. I have had other times where the squeal will be gone for like 2 days then come back

tensioning issue

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Mine had squeal problems and crap with the damn water pump taking a shit on me. The pulley on mine wobbles so much that the back of my belt has bump marks where it skips on the backside. Im just going to get a new tensioner and idler pulley. I dont think its my alt thats doing it because the chirp is intermittent and only likes to happen when its really cold out. If the weather holds up on me Wednesday after i get out of college im going to take the pulley and tensioner off and replace them both along with a new belt. Ill also check the alignment while im at it. I soaked the shit out of the idler pulley and it doesnt squeal as loud but i also soaked the alternators front bearing too. lol. I know my tensioner itself is shot because like in that video the pulley bounces way too much and the tensioners pulley itself spins hard. The idler is fairly free moving but since its squeaking on the side i notice it the most and on trailvoy.com they claim that to be the worst one im just gonna put out $20 some odd bucks and get a new one. Im confident its that because when i took it off the other day there was a heavy amount of grease on the front side of the bearing where the dust plate sits and thats always a signal of a failing/failed bearing. Im hoping i just need to replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt and call it a day. Its hard as hell to work on my damn engine with it being so cramped.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Mine had squeal problems and crap with the damn water pump taking a shit on me. The pulley on mine wobbles so much that the back of my belt has bump marks where it skips on the backside. Im just going to get a new tensioner and idler pulley. I dont think its my alt thats doing it because the chirp is intermittent and only likes to happen when its really cold out. If the weather holds up on me Wednesday after i get out of college im going to take the pulley and tensioner off and replace them both along with a new belt. Ill also check the alignment while im at it. I soaked the shit out of the idler pulley and it doesnt squeal as loud but i also soaked the alternators front bearing too. lol. I know my tensioner itself is shot because like in that video the pulley bounces way too much and the tensioners pulley itself spins hard. The idler is fairly free moving but since its squeaking on the side i notice it the most and on trailvoy.com they claim that to be the worst one im just gonna put out $20 some odd bucks and get a new one. Im confident its that because when i took it off the other day there was a heavy amount of grease on the front side of the bearing where the dust plate sits and thats always a signal of a failing/failed bearing. Im hoping i just need to replace the tensioner, idler pulley, and belt and call it a day. Its hard as hell to work on my damn engine with it being so cramped.

I finally got to getting the water pump today. I got the old one out and it was wobbling a little bit. I replaced it and put everything back together and no squeal yet. Only time will tell because sometimes my truck would go a while, occasionally days (VERY rarely) without any noise. It is definitely sounding like this could very well be it! I'm crossing my fingers!

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

Lets hope it is, im going to attempt to get my tensioner and idler pulley replaced next wed after class but thats all if the weather holds up for me. lol. Im really hoping that just replacing those two on mine will fix it, if its the alt im gonna be pissed if i have to take that damn thing off and send it to mechman.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

PROBLEM NOT FIXED

Started the truck up this mornign and the very same squeal returned. WHAT THE FUCK. Im about to send this to a shop now, im almost 400$ into this fucking noise and its still fucking there. Pwer steering pump didnt even need to engage cause I didnt even touch the steering wheel since yesterday when it didnt squeal. Im gonna have to get a caliper measuring tool to make sure everything is in alignment, but I dont know what else it could possibly be, iv replaced everything

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Got some info today,

The power steering pump is NOT the factory one. It is from a 04 silverado 2500, they swapped it to work with the hydroboost brake system. Also since its a different pump, he said the other belt that I originally removed was a little bit shorter. I also told him that since it was a spring tensioner and the belt was tight, that I didnt think even a shorter belt would matter because the tensioner would still pull just as hard.

The next step I definitely think is getting the caliper and measuring the second groove in the pulleys to make sure they are in perfect alignment. In that video earlier it showed how the steering pump pulley was pressed in, so some of them are in too far, and others not far enough leading to alignment issues. Especially since this pump isnt even to this truck it could be off by a little bit

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Haha thats nice to modify the power steering pump on you. Gates makes a laser tool and a feeler gauge to help with belt wear and alingment. I think it was like 17-20 bucks but i cant remember 100% it was on their site.

Haha thats nice to modify the power steering pump on you. Gates makes a laser tool and a feeler gauge to help with belt wear and alingment. I think it was like 17-20 bucks but i cant remember 100% it was on their site.

I think im gonna just buy a basic basic laser tool from home depot that can do the job, then when im done return it and say its broken. If its in alignment I dont know what to do next....

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

That wont quite do it unless you have a second hand to hold the tool perfectly straight on the pulley it is resting on (you usually use the crank pulley) and then aim it at the other ribbed pulleys to see where they sit. Did you try to spray the side of the belt like in the vids i linked? If when you spray the ribbed side of the belt the squeaking goes away its a misalingment, if when you spray the flat (back) side of the belt the squeak goes away its either a bad pulley or tensioner.

That wont quite do it unless you have a second hand to hold the tool perfectly straight on the pulley it is resting on (you usually use the crank pulley) and then aim it at the other ribbed pulleys to see where they sit. Did you try to spray the side of the belt like in the vids i linked? If when you spray the ribbed side of the belt the squeaking goes away its a misalingment, if when you spray the flat (back) side of the belt the squeak goes away its either a bad pulley or tensioner.

I havnt tried that. I did measure the old fashioned way from the video and used a 1x1 tube and layed it flush with the crank pulley. Everything lines up, except the alternator... its off by about half a rib...... The alt needs to come out just like a 16th of an inch if that, but im not sure how to do it because of how the alt is mounted. Is that enough to make this vicious squeak?

Today for the first time since the water pump replacement when I turned the wheel it started squeaking then would stop when I stopped turning. It was not the super loud squeak that time tho. Yesterday morning I did start the truck and without turning the wheels or anything it started squeaking like crazy just like before. I dont know what to do. That pump has been in there for about 4-5 years and its from a 2500, and the pumps fine, I just dont know why it squeaks if thats even the cause of it. I added some fluid it was kinda low, but that wouldnt cause this screeching...

Also the truck uses a hydrobooost brake system, so thats plumbed with the powersteering pump as well

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Archived