Kinetik battery charger to run an amp?

Mods: please forgive me if this is the wrong section. I figured it would be geared more toward electrical as its pertaining a battery charger in which you normally would use for your vehicle

Anyways i have a project i am working on to get my two 12" kicker cvx subs in my bedroom and run them off my old precision power pc2350 amp that was originally used for the stock cvx's when they were installed on my old car. Im not sure what the normal amperage load of that amp is but i would say its probably like 90-120 amps. I was talking with CJ18 on here and he brought up the idea to buy a Kinetik KIPS12-80 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34482_Kinetik-KIPS12-80.html) to run the amp off of but im wondering if that can take the constant load of the amp. I was thinking to get that charger and connect it to the amp directly but thought that it might be bad as the amp would be surging the hell out of that power supply and i could burn it or the amp out. Then i was thinking maybe to get the charger and a tiny xs power battery like a d545 or maybe something else that is a sealed AGM battery that i could buy fairly cheap from on here and run that to the amp and have the charger act like the alternator and help keep the voltage up. Would this work or would i burn that unit out quick?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Computer power supplies wont provide half enough amperage to run that amp. I had a 1000w psu for it and it kept tripping the protection circuit on it from overloading it. Im over the computer power supply crap as they arent powerful enough plus they are always at 12v, thats not enough voltage, i need to have it in the 14's to keep the battery good.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

why not get a home amp?

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

The home amp would be wayy more expensive from what ive been looking at plus i used to run my old amps in my room and i thought they sounded so much better than home amps. As for power inverters those are mainly for dc>ac conversion not ac>dc which is what i need.

I agree on this...computer power supplier will not power the recommended power needed for an amp. User a power converter. I saw a friend had this setup a while back. He used a 14.4v converter and used the RCA jacks from a camera that converted into an audio jack, plugged it into his computer and voila! I do the same set up at my house. I also used a .4 v converter for the power remote switch....although there is other ways.

If you have a little bit of experience in electrical...you can do what I did, take apart of a converter that has an output of 14.4v (you can find these from remote control car battery chargers mostly) and you can connect 8 gauge power wire...just make sure you have a cut out for your cover and replace the cover over the converter...I don't want you getting shocked.

Hope this helps a little

Edited by carshateme

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

No offense but how would a remote control car battery charger provide 80+ amps of current to power the amp? It may have the voltage but it damn sure does not have the amperage.

Dunno, not an electrician, but I know it works...I always seems to find ghetto ways to do stuff.

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

just so you know, your wall outlet is rated for 10amps. if you really think you will be drawing 80amps at 14v then you will be drawing just over 10amps at 110v. so you would risk a fire by overloading one plug. and thats assuming that nothing else is plugged into that outlet.

i tried using a battery and a charger to run some small amps but my larger charger started to put out 16v. i guess the changes in load confused it because it normally works fine. i ended up going with a power supply i got from work and its working a lot better for me.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.