Second Skin Audio

Help with Kicker Subs

As some of you may know I have a 98 Tahoe that I am building right now that came with two 15" Kicker L7's when I bought the truck after listening to it more and more I just didn't like the way it sounded so I sold the L7's and I decided to pull out the CVX's from my 89 Crown Vic that is sitting on bricks. Unfortunately after checking them out there is a bad coil on each of them so I need to have them repaired. I contacted Kicker and they said they don't repair but offer a discount program and I can get them new for $215 each, however I can buy them brand new from online for $270 or local for $285 each so that deal is not completely worth especially considering I have to ship the old ones first. So here's my question...What should I do? Should I buy new, get the repaired (if so how and where) or what?

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

U can buy skar vvx for like 210 plus shipping each.. Cheaper than their "deal" and probably a little better IMO but they have awesome reviews.. If I had a choice I wouldn't buy another kicker sub.. They aren't bad for the price.. But better can be had for around the same..

Just my .02

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

They aren't bad for entry level mainstream subs.. But better can be had for around the same..

Fixed ;)

LMAO at your edit but to respond to 99fullsize I am running Kicker in the truck for a reason believe me I would love to run Sundown DC DD Skar etc but this started as a Kicker build and I must finish as such reason being is because Kicker is the most popular brand at the shop and in the area. Most of the guys that have it sound like ish so I want to do this to show them how it should sound and maybe gain some new clientele in the process. I have to give them what they want to show them what they could have dudes round here ain't trying to hear about anything but Kicker so thats that. Now on a personal note there is something big in the works for the Civic with one of those brands I mentioned before but for now I need to concentrate on the Kicker system in the truck. Anyone else with ideas?

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Well I didn't know that part lol, My 4 cvr 15s sound killer in my truck... 240 a pair online.. I bought them for a temp setup and they surprised me.. I just miss my dcs...

Anyways back to your question.. Was u wanting to keep the cvx line? If u do, you could always keep the two you have since it's not really cheaper to trade them in after all the shipping and use them for test fitting or whatnot, or you can trade em in and not have them laying around..

You tryed to contact anywhere to see if custom recones are available?

Laying frame soon.. System has to wait

They aren't bad for entry level mainstream subs.. But better can be had for around the same..

Fixed ;)

LMAO at your edit but to respond to 99fullsize I am running Kicker in the truck for a reason believe me I would love to run Sundown DC DD Skar etc but this started as a Kicker build and I must finish as such reason being is because Kicker is the most popular brand at the shop and in the area. Most of the guys that have it sound like ish so I want to do this to show them how it should sound and maybe gain some new clientele in the process. I have to give them what they want to show them what they could have dudes round here ain't trying to hear about anything but Kicker so thats that. Now on a personal note there is something big in the works for the Civic with one of those brands I mentioned before but for now I need to concentrate on the Kicker system in the truck. Anyone else with ideas?

Unless they give you free shipping. Just go new. Plus there is less chance of something happening in the mail. I did the discount "deal" And wish I didnt a few years back. I realized that after I got them that I paid after shipping and a insurance I had to buy in order for them to ship em. That I paid almost 150 more.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

Well I didn't know that part lol, My 4 cvr 15s sound killer in my truck... 240 a pair online.. I bought them for a temp setup and they surprised me.. I just miss my dcs... Anyways back to your question.. Was u wanting to keep the cvx line? If u do, you could always keep the two you have since it's not really cheaper to trade them in after all the shipping and use them for test fitting or whatnot, or you can trade em in and not have them laying around.. You tryed to contact anywhere to see if custom recones are available?

Yeah I hit up fixmyspeaker.com waiting for a quote for raw parts and a quote to see how much for them to repair I will weigh my pros and cons and decide. I thought about going with the CVR's but in the end has to be something that compares to two L7's and that would be the CVX so I need to find those mofo's.

Fixed ;)
Unless they give you free shipping. Just go new. Plus there is less chance of something happening in the mail. I did the discount "deal" And wish I didnt a few years back. I realized that after I got them that I paid after shipping and a insurance I had to buy in order for them to ship em. That I paid almost 150 more.

I thought the same thing I'm glad you confirmed my suspicion for me damn thank God for SMD because I wouldn't have even calculated all of that in the long run.

I found 2 brand new ones for $489.75 on eBay with free shippingClicky

:lol: I had the L7's I didn't like the sound I have the CVX's now but the coils on both are bad so I am looking to replace the coils or get new CVX's. The L7's were a good sound but just not what I was looking for in the end but damn that' cheap as hell but I did find the CVX's on eBay from AudioSavings I may take that route and I would be giving a member of the SMD family some business at the same time. There is a lot of decisions to make.

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

Build Log

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Should have kept the L7's and put them in a bandpass

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.