Building New Fronts

If anyone is following: Sorry for the insane delay guys!! :blush:

But I'm continuing now :) I won't put out the details for the x-overs yet, just in case they suck! (designed by me) But pics of parts I'm going to start with:

IMAG1023.jpg

IMAG1020.jpg

I have done some woodwork as well, pics later. And hopefully not two months later :drink40:

Figuring out x-over layout
IMAG1041.jpg

My brother and I were home alone, so we threw together a little something. Even used American BBQ sauce :lol2:
IMAG1043.jpg

And test listening and adusting of one speaker. To the right is a Tannoy monitor speaker.
IMAG1044.jpg

At the first try of the x-over I used the parts you see in the picture. This being a 2.5way system, that gave me an 12db/okt x-over point between the tweeter and midrange/bass that crosses -3db at 3000 hz, and the -3db at around 500hz 6 db/okt LP filter for the midbass driver.
This sounded way to rich in the midrange, and maybe a little sharp on topp, courtesy of the tweeter whos sensitivity increases with the frequencies.

To fix the midrange I stole some caps from the old x-over network to increase the slope for the midbass driver from 6db to 12 db/okt. HUGE differense, now they sound much better. They still the same amount of nice bass/mibass but now the mids aren't overdone as they were to begin with. Nothing is done with the tweeter yet, but I allready have an exstra coil built into the x-over (but now wired up) that I'm gonna try to filter out some of the 15k+ frequencies with. I'm not sure if that's gonna be successful, but I'll try it anyway. Worst case scenario I use a simple L-pad to dampen it by a db or so.

• 3 weeks later...

After having them in the house for a while it's time to take them apart and start on the finish. They will be painted black except from the wood vineer in the front, as shown in the pic on page one.

Total mess :D
IMAG1069.jpg

Aand a random pic with my "Focals on a board" on top. Those wil go in my car later.
IMAG1066.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Extremely clean wood work man, very impressed.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm