Second Skin Audio

What T/S specs are most important?

SQMonte

I've been installing my own systems now for 19yrs, they've always been simple, low power, mainstream, prefab setups, nothing special. I just barely built my first custom box about a year ago and it's worked out nicely but it's time to upgrade. In years past, I simply found a sub that looked good, fit my budget and was the size I wanted and that was that. Since being on this and other audio boards I've learned more about the T/S parameters and what they mean so I was wondering if you guys who build daily cars pay attention to the T/S specs and if so, which one's specifically? My goal for my car is to be able to bang the lows like I can now....down into the mid to low 20's with authority, but still be able to play more musical stuff like R&B music just as good as bass heavy rap. So what T/S specs should I really pay attention to and what are acceptable ranges for them?

Not sure if i'm leaving out any necessary info here but if so, ask and I'll answer.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Fs,Qts,Vas for frequency response pe and sensitivity to (sort of) estimate SPL output. To hit the lows you will need generally speaking a low Fs driver on the biggest box recommended for it, if you need louder go for higher diameter subs, for a clean uniform frequency response I recommend using midbass drivers bandpassed between your components and the sub.

Fs= low frequency resonance. Generally speaking, the lower this is, the lower the sub tends to play

Xmax = one way excursion. From rest, how far the sub will travel in one direction during play at peak excursion. Move more air, get deeper. Generally speaking.

Read this for more details

Ray should chime in here if he sees this thread. He probably knows this as much as anyone on the board.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

not to thread jack but what would an fs of 17 and an xmax of 33mm be considered? would it be good or poor?

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

not to thread jack but what would an fs of 17 and an xmax of 33mm be considered? would it be good or poor?

Eargasm?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Archived