Second Skin Audio

2 18" Wall Design

Hey guys, I own a 2003 Chevy Cavalier and was looking at plans to upgrade to a wall a good bit in the future. It's not that big of a car, but I would have enough room to put a wall between the trunk opening and right behind the front two seats. I've tried making designs for 4 12s, 4 15s, and eventually decided that 2 18s would be best. In order for this to work, I'd have to have the port going across the top of the box with an 18 sitting behind each seat.

This is where I went to work in Torres:

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1907/218inchbox.png

I chose 1.5" wood thickness meaning that I'd double layer the box in 3/4" MDF and I just kind of guesstimated the displacements (I would go back and correct seeing as how the .72 woofer displacement was for 4 15" XLs but I'm too lazy)

I'm looking to be low & loud, and was wondering what you'd suggest for tuning. I'd really love to be able to play in the mid 20s (25 Hz probably - I do like C&S music) but would also like to play in the mid-high 40s as well. Are there any specific woofers out there that are able to play really low notes? I don't know what exactly to look for when window shopping woofers to determine how low it'll play before bottoming out or if that's all in the tuning of the box, so help with that would be appreciated.

And as for completely sealing it to make it a real wall, how would I go about doing that? Just spray expanding foam around the outsides? I'm really into DIY, so I'd be looking for something that I can do with my dad's help.

So if anybody could give this a look and give some feedback then that'd be really great!

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

What's your budget for the subs? Do you have an amp already, or is that yet to be determined?

I'll be saving up for everything, I want to go straight from these 2 Kicker Comp 12s on 200 watts to 2 18s in a wall. So nothing specified yet, just more of the direction I'm looking to go towards. I do have a job though, so I see myself having a bare minimum of $3000 within the next 4 months that I'll be able to put towards it. Realistically, I see this being something that I'm gonna be able to work on over the summer so that I won't have to rush and would be able to get it all done with no loose ends.

I have been looking at getting the DC m2 XL 18s but I'm still window shopping around to see what else there is that I'd be interested in.

Fi Sp4's

Sundown Z's

Ssa subs

Just a few I can think of that are supposed to be low end monsters.

Edit: AA SMD

I think the AA Mayhem as well.

Edited by bassrace

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

You can use cardboard to make templates to fill the gaps around your wall...I am sure there are other techniques but that's a very simple one..

As for subs/amp/electrical...I would budget for electrical for alt upgrade...0 gauge...big3..then go from there

It's a huge step forward to go from 200w to a full blown wall...

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Fi Sp4's

Sundown Z's

Ssa subs

Just a few I can think of that are supposed to be low end monsters.

Edit: AA SMD

I think the AA Mayhem as well.

Wow, thanks for the woofer suggestions I don't know how but I haven't even check out FI or SSA yet...must've somehow missed them. Will definitely be giving all of those a look though!

You can use cardboard to make templates to fill the gaps around your wall...I am sure there are other techniques but that's a very simple one..

As for subs/amp/electrical...I would budget for electrical for alt upgrade...0 gauge...big3..then go from there

It's a huge step forward to go from 200w to a full blown wall...

Yeah, that's why I figured it's best to get it all done at once so that I don't spend even more money going from 2 12s on 200 watts to something on x watts, then again, then finally a wall. How much do you think the electrical upgrade alone would be for 2 18s walled on let's say 5k watts? And that cardboard suggestion is great, I should've done that with the box I've got now so it wouldn't look as ghetto :noob: