Sonic Electronix

Pair of JL Audio W7 12 on 2000 rms Box?

Have a box im going to build for a friend who has two jl audio w7 12 subs on about 2000rms of power total.

I have an older design that i have that would give each jl audio 12 sub about 3 cubes each tuned to about 34hz.

I was reading that jl wants the sub to get around 1.75 cubes but i heard many people say they like bigger boxes a lot better and tuning around 34-36hz.

Hes going for more of a very loud setup and doesnt care much about sq although he will still get it with those subs. Also gains will be set correctly.

Question is has anybody given jl audio w7 a lot more box than recommended or does any one know whats the very best box i should go for. Its going in to a 2 door tahoe truck.

1st Setup(SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

They're not the most resilient subs I've seen...... but they will make some noise.

They will sound the best, in my opinion, in a larger box, tuned really low. However, they will be easier to blow up..... may not be best for this boom boom customer.

tune them to 45 with smaller port and let him deal with the chuffing to keep them from blowing up :D

Tuani Fabrication

Wasilla, AK

Im assuming that it will not sound bad because i know whatever way i lean it will be well made and well in the area for the sub to perform.

Im simply trying to get some input from people who have actually used them in large boxes tuned around 34-36hz.

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 Audioque SDC2.5 15 subs8.7 cubes at 37hz build DONEAudioque 1200d (Audioque 1200d Sold, similar performance to my ap1500)Diamond Audio Hex 6.5 Mids n TweetsCerwin Vega Exl 400 4 channel Bridged(also have MTX 4004 not being used)1 Run of power Knu Fleks 4 Gauge2 Cheap stock Battery setup2nd Setup (SOLD):2007 GMC YukonPioneer Avic F90bt

Audiocontrol Epicenter2 15 Kicker cvx (maybe two SA 15 in future)7 cubes net tuned at 34hzAlphasonik Old school 1600rms (ap 1500d sold GREAT Budget amp)JBL 6.5 Power Series Components, Infinity Kappa 6.5 3 ways, and 2 Kicker KS Tweets (LOUD)Cerwin vega exl4001 run knu Fleks OFC 0 gaugeBig 3 done1 Odyssey 1500, 1 optima yellow top d31

i haven't had experience with the dub 7's but i own a couple W0v3 12's.

they really do like big boxes, but i think slightly more than 1.75 cubes on that power tuned pretty low should get him pretty good "sq" and a lil boom too ;)

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Sq will be there but i really want to get the max output on the subs so ima go ahead and do the big ported box tuned around 36hz and make a new topic to see what the result was.

Im pretty sure its going to be good on 3 cubes each ive read on other forums on google that they like huge boxes. The power will be right for these subs i played with them a little and they really can take power better than i thought and get pretty loud and still sound clean.

3 cubes each for a 12????

holy shit. they might as well be in free air on that power.

i'd think 2-2.5 cubes each would be plennnntttty

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Ha haaa youll be surprised i was reading up on them and some experienced people have them in 3 cubes tuned low.

I messed around with 1 on 3.5 cubes at 36hz and it took 1000rms very well, couldnt bottom it out and got really loud and sounded clean.

Ill try update when i finish his build.

nvm

Edited by Craig28

TEAM DC

Everything is a 150 on th earometer

Well I guess punching a woman is a good way to test your strength! You never know how strong you are until you cold-cock a woman in the head and break that bitches jaw.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.