Second Skin Audio

Different size sub Same wattage.. More power?

I have been wondering;

2 subs ... Lets say 12's for example 600 RMS Each

-with-

1200 watts.

1 sub ... lets say an 18 as another example 4,000 RMS

-with-

1200 watts.

Would the 12's that take the amp to full potential be the same "loudness" as the 1 18?

- to keep it easy lets just say they are in same condition's blah blah blah I am just wondering would it be the same power? I feel like it would but then again im always wrong :P

My theory: If the two subs are maxing out at 600 RMS each on a 1200 watt amp they will be making "x" amount of loudness. If the 18 is taking the SAME 1200 watts i would think they would sound the same due to BOTH are able to take up all 1200 Watts but (this is where i get stumped) Would the amount of cone space or amount of sub woofers take the loudness down? Completely stumped. I am sure for all you smart audio guys out there this is a no brainier haha. :trippy:

The 18 would be quieter because that 18 has stiffer suspension so on low power won't reach full excursion

The 18 should theoretically be louder due to more cone area. But it depends on the space you're working with, how efficient the 18 is, etc. If you're looking at a trunk setup, the 12's would be louder due to the fact that you could fire them into the cab sealed off. The 18 would barely fit firing into the trunk lid.

You say "under the same circumstances blah blah blah", but these circumstances truly do matter. Hope this helped.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

in threoy the 12's will be louder but it all depends on the install

the 1 18 has a little more cone area but will be under powered and will not perform the best that it can

the 12's will be pushed to there optimal performance for the rms and will move more and hit close to there xmax where the 18 will be crusin

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

the 1 18 has a little more cone area but will be under powered and will not perform the best that it can

the 12's will be pushed to there optimal performance for the rms and will move more and hit close to there xmax where the 18 will be crusin

All of the statements above are true but i didnt want to say to much about the box and stuff because itll make people rage. The last statement in this post, the 18 would be cruising but wouldnt it still be the same loudness lol i guess its a hard topic to explain to a noob

All of the statements above are true but i didnt want to say to much about the box and stuff because itll make people rage. The last statement in this post, the 18 would be cruising but wouldnt it still be the same loudness lol i guess its a hard topic to explain to a noob

no it would not be the same loudness... loudness is messured by air movement and an 18 thats is barly moving vs 2 12's that are jumping out the box the 12's will move more air

at meca finals i was getting my ass kicked by mid grade equipment that they were able to push there equipment to there limits vs my 12k and dc xl's that i could not get to its limits because of fuse rating holding my power back

Edited by Team Bassick (ALPINE)

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

now if they are the same subs and rms differnt sizes

like a aa mayhem 12 rated for 2500 watts getting 2500 vs a mayhem 18 2500 rms getting 2500 rms the 18 should be louder everytime cause of cone area but again this is all box dependent

Now it all makes sense for you "Air movement" example. Lets try not to make this a vs thread since if i have one more vs thread i get banned.haha. but i totally understand now. thanks for your help :good:

I see more and more misunderstandings about this subject.

Power HANDLING has just about nothing to do with how loud a woofer will play. Just how much power the sub will handle.

You can have a 10,000w rms woofer get just as loud on 100w as a 100w rms woofer. It's other factors in the woofer construction that determine its loudness.

And no, an 18 is not "Stiffer" than 12s. that is not a factor.

What it can come down to is the materials used and construction of the woofers. If all that is equal, a single 18 has about 250 sq inches of cone area

Two 12s have about 225 sq inches of cone area.

This means that the single 18 does have a greater Potential to be louder.

Another factor is that the greater power handling of the single 18 would mean that it will run more reliable and more efficiently due to staying well below it's thermal limit. However power being spread over multiple coils can also exhibit that effect.

Ultimately what it will come down to is the enclosure, a pair of 12s may work better in smaller trunk cars due to the enclosure techniques and the single 18 may work better in a larger hatchback for the same reason.

It's up to you and your enclosure design and building capabilities.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion