Sonic Electronix

full range or high pass?

As some of you know I just installed another set of components and amp for my mids and highs....my question is prob really dumb but just wondering....on the amp settings do you run components, full range or HP?....and whats the advantage one over the other....I have tried both but what do you guys recommend? the gear is 3 sets of polk audio mm6501's and two mb quart onxy4.80

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

35" nittio trail grapplers

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

ProBox DMC212L-1000 144db @45hz

Viper 5901

Anyone??

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

Viper 5901

Perfect....thanks skullz!!

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

Viper 5901

Just like skullz said. I always recommend to use the highpass and set it to like 80Hz and for your subwoofer set it to lowpass at 80Hz so you have a constant flow of the entire freq range.

I personally dont like passive crossovers by themselves, they draw a ton of power from your amp and they dont do that great of a job at cutting freq's from the speakers. If you want added protection id recommend to use the passive x-over and the highpass on your amp so that will be very beneficial to you but its up to you. If you throw a lot of power at those speakers you want to have the amp set to highpass as to prevent a low note from hitting your components and blowing them.

and edit: just a friendly reminder, wait 24 hours before bumping your thread. ppl on here get pissed off when you bump your thread fast like that. People will help you out just give them some time trink40.gif

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Ok whoa, sorry for the bump....I did the passive delete last weekend and didn't gain much....however I was running three speakers off each (bridged) channel...about 53.3 wrms per speaker....I guess I'm 120-130wrms per set now but have tried full range and HP with the passive xover and just didn't know what was recommended by pros...thanks for the response sorry for being impatient

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

Viper 5901

Full range if you using the crossovers with them, if not then you'll want to use the hi pass/ low pass for 2way active set-ups.

passive crossovers only do lowpass for the mid and highpass for the tweeter. they dont do bandpass for the mid (no HPF for mid). when running active, you should set the HPF on your amp to about 80hz unless your have speakers that dont like being played that low, then tune to the bottom of their frequency response range.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

its alright bro just giving you a friendly heads up before someone chews you a new ass. lol. Ive always loved going full active and leaving the passive crossovers that come with the speaker set out. I use my 3sixty.2 and soon will be doing the highpass on my 175.4 once my DD-1 and CC-1 i ordered get here. Since im going to do that i am even thinking to putting 6 tweeters in and 4 mids and then use the passive x-overs for the RF tweeters and mids.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I just want to get my shit loud....I just spent $700 on another amp, component set, fatmat, and kick panels....I am only a little louder...I did a couple vids last week running passive and active but now I'm getting irritated at the fact I'm throwing $$ and can't get my mid and highs loud as hell...I like the bass but this ish is hard to get loud and keep up....

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

Viper 5901

If you want it louder take the passive x-overs out (but be warned if you do this wrong you can blow the speakers) and set the amp to highpass at 80Hz (its up to you but 80 is pretty universal for lots of people, i just wouldnt go lower than 80Hz) and adjust the gains with a -5db tone. Setting the gains with a -5db tone will make them louder than a 0db tone however you run a minor risk of clipping them. If you set them with a -10db tone you are at even more of a risk of clipping and i dont recommend doing a -10 for mids and highs. Also one thing to notice is with tweeters when you play music with a ton of treble and the highs sound like they are crackling or scratchy, this is clipping and distortion for a tweeter so back the gain on that channel down a bit.

I prefer to use my mids and highs like i have them now where 2 channels are for the mids and the other 2 are for my highs. For your tweeters i would still use the passive crossovers for them and set the amp to highpass for that channel as high as it can go (usually they stop at like 300Hz), for the mids wire them without the passive x-overs and set the amp to highpass at 80Hz. Also just a tip, set the gains for the 2 channels u dedicated for your tweeters with the x-over wired up. For example play the test tone with the passive x-over on the speaker output of the amp and then connect your o-scope to the tweeter + and - outputs on the x-over and set the gains through that. This will help compensate for the power lost when the passive x-over is run.

Archived