I'm working on purchasing a 2001 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 Vortec, previous owner has babied the truck & averages 16mpg city with no engine upgrades (Flowmaster Outlaw exhaust). What all is possible for me to buy to help improve gas mileage/performance? I'm definitely thinking about a CAI for sure, but are there any real performance chips? Any tips appreciated!

Truck teaser picture attached (just have to get payments figured out)

post-32486-0-96128300-1328485560_thumb.jpg

Edited by iceman1575

POTATO!

• 3 weeks later...

cold air intake, better tune, exhaust, supposidly the e3 diamond fire plugs give you better milage

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

Swapping your gears could help your speed, and a set of headers would make it sound better and add some power

swapping gears will make it getup faster but will kill gas mileage.

get a good tune, full headers, do a simple intake, so called "cai's" don't do much and a true one, you risk sucking up water and hydrolocking yer motor.

do a full tune-up on it and that will help a bit depending on the last time it was done.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Lay of the gas pedal!! I have a tahoe( Same year as steve) with the 5.3 in it. I have a K&N CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, and a flashpaq tuner currently tuned to perfermance. it has a gas saver setting but you will definitely lose performance. Honestly if you want better gas mileage, up the horsepower so the engine doesnt work as hard to push the truck. On another forum ther are guys who have put the 6.0's in with a supercharger( near future) and are averaging 24 mpg. but the cheapest way would be- CAI, full exhaust, and a custom tune by blackbear performance. they specialize in chevy trucks and cars and can tune the hell out of your truck. But if you go that route its best to have all your performance parts on before the tune. Check them out. I also have a 98 chevy silverado thats good on gas cause i did the mentioned steps above.

• 2 weeks later...