Lay of the gas pedal!! I have a tahoe( Same year as steve) with the 5.3 in it. I have a K&N CAI, Flowmaster exhaust, and a flashpaq tuner currently tuned to perfermance. it has a gas saver setting but you will definitely lose performance. Honestly if you want better gas mileage, up the horsepower so the engine doesnt work as hard to push the truck. On another forum ther are guys who have put the 6.0's in with a supercharger( near future) and are averaging 24 mpg. but the cheapest way would be- CAI, full exhaust, and a custom tune by blackbear performance. they specialize in chevy trucks and cars and can tune the hell out of your truck. But if you go that route its best to have all your performance parts on before the tune. Check them out. I also have a 98 chevy silverado thats good on gas cause i did the mentioned steps above.

Don't know where you get your info from but I have a 6.0 and supercharger in my Tahoe and am lucky to get 13mpg, maybe 15 on the high side with mostly why miles.

I would stick to a set of headers, cam and tune if you want reasonable mpg. There is a write up on ls1truck about a 100hp on a budget build that would be good to look into.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

• 4 weeks later...

honestly if you want good mpgs buy a car, you may be able to get that thing better gas mileage but not much and in all reality spend more on the upgrades then you will save in gas money. the biggest thing to getting good mpg is your right foot anyway. join up ecomodder.com great web site with tons of helpful tips.

Edited by new guy

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

cold air intake, better tune, exhaust, supposidly the e3 diamond fire plugs give you better milage

Great answers. Don't buy a generic tuner. Take you truck to a Dyno shop and get it tuned properly. Also headers to go with the CAI. As mentioned there are several truck forums you can go to.

Specifically Longtube headers, shorty headers don't do crap for these trucks. Custom tune, intake even the best ones out there are only good for about 5 REAL HP, so CAI is a really up to you if you want to spend on that. Also if you got the cash do a cam, you can get as much as 70 more HP just from cam alone.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db