Second Skin Audio

How did my sub(s) blow?

So I was at work earlier delivering pizzas, and on my way back to the shop I was jamming out to Wet Dolphin by Psyph. All of a sudden one of my 12s shits itself. Haven't checked out whether or not it's both of them, or just one of them considering it's 5:20am at the moment and I just got off work, but what would your guesses be as to why I blew it/them?

I've got them hooked up to my RTP251D MTX amplifier that puts out 200 watts at 2 ohms and they're in a 3.8 cu ft net box tuned to 32Hz (Manual said they have fs of 27Hz)

Any help would be appreciated, I'm thinking that I will just continue saving up money for what I was planning on doing this summer anyways but that's a few $1000 down the road

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Also, my car's resonant frequency seems to be rather high, maybe 52 or 53 Hz (A Milli and Got Money seem to sound really great whereas some of the C&S music I like doesn't "sound as loud" even though my box is tuned low). So when I have my windows up, the low notes sound even quieter as well. Could having my windows too far up have caused my subs to blow? Really just posting anything I can think of at the moment before I head off to bed, thanks again

You don't have enough amp so If they sounded good you where probably clipping them because there is not enough power in that amp for those subs.

91' CRX Si

HU - Alpine cda-7995

All stock interior

Amp - Crescendo bc3500

Subs - 4 sa 10 d1 spl's

Batt - 3 x 100 ah

149.5 Street beat

Integra Build Log

Im willing to bet you got below tuning and ripped some tinsels up.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Btw.. Sealed up does NOT always have to sound quieter on lows.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I'm just wondering, I was listening to Wet Dolphin by Psyph and nothing in that song dips below 35Hz that I saw and my box is tuned to 32Hz. And it's not like I was turning the volume knob ALL the way up, I tuned it by ear I guess you could say and honestly feel like I wasn't clipping on that part either. Is it at all possible that it's a manufacturing defect? (Just wondering, don't tear me a knew ass)

Is it at all possible that perhaps when I got these that one of the voice coils had been partially damaged before and still have played since I wasn't giving full rated power?

To Nate's post, if something below tuning frequency was played before, could that have damaged something yet still been playable? And over time it just took it's toll and finally broke?

Appreciate the help so far guys, always good to learn from your mistakes when there's not much money involved I suppose :noob:

Doesn't matter the time, if one works then one isn't blown. If both shit, then I would assume both are blown. There's also hardly information in here thats actually pertinent to trying ti give a legitimate answer.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Doesn't matter the time, if one works then one isn't blown. If both shit, then I would assume both are blown. There's also hardly information in here thats actually pertinent to trying ti give a legitimate answer.

What sort of information would I have to give? I just woke up and was going to go down before work to check and see if it was just 1 or both so I could post that after I check it out in a bit

Try pushing on them with your hand on the cone (don't need to hard though!). If it 1: doesnt move or 2: crunches/pops a lot then chances are you blew one... I had a pair of kicker comp 12s for my first setup and I ran them off an OLDDDD JL amp that I believe was 1000 watt max but that was 6 years ago and a lot of setups ago... I didn't blow mine and mine were in a sealed box. I'd try to push on the cone with your hand and subs off. You should atleast be able to tell if one (or both) messed up.

Edited by EMD Enclosures