Sundown Audio

Could my amp be crapping out?

How is the wire hooked up to the sub from the amp? Are there terminals, wire go straight through the box, nuts and bolts, or some other way?

It is incredibly difficult to diagnose problems like this when you are there, and exponentially more difficult when you are not there.

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

How is the wire hooked up to the sub from the amp? Are there terminals, wire go straight through the box, nuts and bolts, or some other way?

It is incredibly difficult to diagnose problems like this when you are there, and exponentially more difficult when you are not there.

There's a terminal cup (I believe it's called) in the backside of the box. Subs are in the front facing the interior of the car. So the wires go from the subs in front to the cup in back. There's a fair bit of slack too, so that we could wire the subs up outside of the box and then screw them into it.

What type of wire should be in there from subs-> amp, and are there any substitues/etc? Like can you use different types of wire and have it work just as good? I've read about different gauge wire but don't know much about it

Edited by iChrisTucker
ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

so there is still power. First thing I would check then is power, ground, and speaker connections. Make sure none are loose or coming out. Then check your RCA cables and make sure they are still tight.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

so there is still power. First thing I would check then is power, ground, and speaker connections. Make sure none are loose or coming out. Then check your RCA cables and make sure they are still tight.

Thanks man, I'll be heading back home this weekend after classes/work to have my dad help me out with this.

How did you set your amp ? LPF, SSF, Gain...?

What are your box specs ? Good for the subs ? sure ?

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

How did you set your amp ? LPF, SSF, Gain...?

What are your box specs ? Good for the subs ? sure ?

This is the amp: http://store.mtx.com/caraudio/products/amplifiers/RTP251D.cfm

Box specs are good for the subs, 3.8 cu ft net total tuned to 32 Hz with 16 sq in/cu ft. I don't know much about the amp/electrical part of my system, my dad set that up for me. I need to do some reading up on this stuff though, so hopefully this experience will help me learn what I need to know. I can tell you that I'm almost positive that the LPF/SSF/Gain aren't set incorrectly, I've had the amp hooked up for these past 5 years without it causing any problems. Knowing all of this, do you think that this may just be a wiring issue as well? I'm going back home this weekend anyways to have my dad check the wiring out, so I suppose I'll find out then.

Go to best buy, get an amp and install it yourself. Then use it for a few days to test then return it. (Just make sure you know what the return policy is :P)

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP