Home made center channel test.

bobobass

Did you use air or iron core inductors for your crossover?

Aren't those ment for the "lower" freqs?

in a first order 6db/octave crossover, yes. it's used as the low pass filter.

but second order 12/db octave crossovers are fairly common in ht systems too. they use a capacitor and inductor for every crossover point.

then there's the least common

3rd order 18db/octave

4th order 24db/octave

basically the higher the order you get, the sharper the frequency rolls off after the crossover point.

Edited by 412 CVX

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Aren't those ment for the "lower" freqs?

in a first order 6db/octave crossover, yes. it's used as the low pass filter.

but second order 12/db octave crossovers are fairly common in ht systems too. they use a capacitor and inductor for every crossover point.

then there's the least common

3rd order 18db/octave

4th order 24db/octave

basically the higher the order you get, the sharper the frequency rolls off after the crossover point.

I just realised I missread your post, i read "Did you use iron core inductors for your crossover?"

And yes, but iirc the core inductors are less suitable for the higher frequencies, rather than a "normal" one. So for the x-over frequencies of a normal tweeter like that, say around 3k, a regular coreless inductor would be best suited. Or maybe he took it a step further and used inductors wound up with copper foil, those are suposed to be really good.

This is just how it's in my brain, so correct me if I'm wrong so i can get myself sorted out.

And edit: Sorry for messing up your thread. Are you going to try countersinking that tweeter? It's probably not the easiest thing to do but it would be nice!

Edited by zxsonnyxz

I don't remember if it was like that or the other way around. i know they are less suitable than an air core inductor b/c they can induce distortion. but they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

i really want to do an experiment to see just how much difference does it make to the slightly above average joe. it's hard to judge from reading because most of the people who review this stuff have very expensive tastes and VERY picky ears.

Fill us in OP!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

and what capacitors did you use?

I used Dayton poly caps and jazten aircores.

i'm considering this for a summer project.

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d