just got my dd-1 and cc-1 combo in today. I noticed 40 hz 0 db and 40 hz -5db . whats the difference and how do i know which one to use. also when i set my highs and mids amp say the max is 34/40 and the sub amp is 36/40, does that make my max volume 34 ?

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee LaredoPioneer AVH- 3200DVD2/0 Flex-A-Prene Welding Cable

(2) Fully Loaded Fi Sp4's dual 1-------> My YouTube Channel <-------

Needs more power those woofers will laugh at that turd

just got my dd-1 and cc-1 combo in today. I noticed 40 hz 0 db and 40 hz -5db . whats the difference and how do i know which one to use. also when i set my highs and mids amp say the max is 34/40 and the sub amp is 36/40, does that make my max volume 34 ?

this is the difference

0dB for headunit/least distortion

-5dB for amp gains/sq setting << what i use

-10dB for amp gain/compromise << what most use

-15dB for amp gain/spl setting << too quiet for rap music

DD-1Help.jpg

max would be volume 34 in this case

Edited by Decaf
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

this is the difference

DD-1Help.jpg

"-15 too quiet for rap music"? i find a break in your logic here. tuning with -15dB (track 7) at the head unit and using a dd1, would mean that your turning your amp up higher before getting distortion, so obviously when you play a regular cd it will be louder than if it was tuned with -5 (track 3) or -10 (track 5). what would be too quiet would be tuning with track 3. that is unless your going strictly for quality but i like my shit pounding loud.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

this is the difference

DD-1Help.jpg

"-15 too quiet for rap music"? i find a break in your logic here. tuning with -15dB (track 7) at the head unit and using a dd1, would mean that your turning your amp up higher before getting distortion, so obviously when you play a regular cd it will be louder than if it was tuned with -5 (track 3) or -10 (track 5). what would be too quiet would be tuning with track 3. that is unless your going strictly for quality but i like my shit pounding loud.

You never use -15dB for the headunit, you always use 0dB to get the cleanest highest voltage possible. Rap music bass is louder than -15dB, thus anything louder than the tone used to set the dd-1 on sub amp will push the amp into clipping. Most rap music is between -5dB and -10dB, so using -15dB means most of the time you are +5dB into clipping. There is no break in logic besides yours.

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

this is the difference

DD-1Help.jpg

You never use -15dB for the headunit, you always use 0dB to get the cleanest highest voltage possible. Rap music bass is louder than -15dB, thus anything louder than the tone used to set the dd-1 on sub amp will push the amp into clipping. Most rap music is between -5dB and -10dB, so using -15dB means most of the time you are +5dB into clipping. There is no break in logic besides yours.

Yes I agree you only use 0dB to find your max volume. when I said "at the head unit" I meant which track I'm playin to set amp gains only. I get what your saying though but in your OP you said -15dB is too quiet for rap - now are we talking about what rap actually plays at or are we talking about setting gains with dd1? If we're talking about setting gains then the -15dB track would cause it to be too loud, as you stated as being +5dB correct?

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

Correct, if you play loud rap setting gain with -15dB tone will cause clipping. Using the -15dB tone will have the gain in the closest position to max gain compared to using -5/-10 which are safer and closer to the loudness of the rap music being played

TeamSundown-sig.jpg