big 3 help

• 3 weeks later...

You want to do it right?

Fuse to protect the wire, not the equipment. 0 gauge - use a 250 or 300 amp fuse

Use 2 fuses - 1 near the alternator, one near the battery.

The idea behind fusing isn't to blow if you alternator puts out too much power - it's to stop your car from burning to the ground in the event of a short or something.

I say use 2 fuses because of this:

If you only fuse near the battery, and a piece of wire shorts out on the alternator side of the fuse - hello short circuit, hello fire.

Same idea with fusing only near the alternator.

i didnt :pardon:

Some people don't run fuses at all and never have issues.

Others don't get so lucky.

It really just depends on how good you are at keeping wire away from hot/sharp things + some luck

I fuse all my stuff and reccomend everyone to do the same- a 3$ fuse and a 10$ fuse holder is cheap insurance IMHO.

i didnt :pardon:

Some people don't run fuses at all and never have issues.

Others don't get so lucky.

It really just depends on how good you are at keeping wire away from hot/sharp things + some luck

I fuse all my stuff and reccomend everyone to do the same- a 3$ fuse and a 10$ fuse holder is cheap insurance IMHO.

no one had a 250 amp fuse when i was doing it so i just said fuck it

i drive an s10 and my fun of 0 was like 10 in long so i didnt run a fuse.....but im also running connectors that i dont have to worry about a lead pulling out

but if your run is in an odd spot (near headers or touches anything at all) then i would fuse near your alt.

Then fuse your run to your amp within 10 or less inches of your batt and the same on the end with your amp

Like everyone says fuses are cheap alts and cars are not lol

IMG_1056.jpg

Archived