Shit is looking good bro, very nice job so far

Thank you

Is the whole box gonna be 1/4" mdf?

Yes, with fiberglassed joints since I cant use screws.

JK, :D

The entire box will feature a layer that looks something like what I did real fast in Pro E.

layering.jpg

Only the wood is colored properly, the others are just to show layering. So thats 1/4" wood in the middle and I just estimated the thickness of 3/4oz matt to be .05", I will use enough to make it hit at least 3/8" but in the drawing I had each layer reach 1/4". Fiberglass will be on the inside and outside of the entire box. This goes for the port, and maybe even the bracing as well. Fiberglass is very strong and maybe I'll add fiberglass as a material at .5" thick and show displacement/stress analysis on it from ProE if anyone wants. And I can compare that to 3/4" wood though I'm not entirely sure I can find MDF built in but If I can find material properties of MDF I can add that into ProE.

I'm about to be purchasing 25 yards of 3/4oz mat. I would like input on 3/4oz mat vs 1.5oz mat vs 2.0 mat. I've only used 2.0 mat so far and it has a hard time doing 90degrees and extremely hard to have it do 170degrees. If 1.5oz mat is a lot easier than 2.0oz then I may get that since it's cheaper but at least I know 3/4oz mat will allow me to get the shapes I need.

A lot of work, but should be strong as hell. I thought you were just glassing the joints LOL. I'll be watching for sure.

It is a bit of work, but my last box was just too heavy. I also didn't get my desired shape of the box due to wood being straight so fiberglass should help me obtain a little more happiness with that. The hardest thing for me will be calculating the internal volume. It will basically be what I can judge as a best estimate. Though it's easier to assume I have a little less airspace because I can always fill it up with foam to take up space if I'm off by having too much internal volume. Especially to foam around edges and corners to get that curve for better flow.

I didn't put many curves on the Drawing because it takes time to make it look exactly as I see it and as I will attempt that later to see if it will calculate internal volume for me, but I didn't use exact measurements on that or angles since it was still hardening in my car. I may take it out tomorrow but I want to give it 3 good days to get nice and hard (what she said).

Remember these

IMAG0573.jpg

When I bought them I bought them too big, but I just realized I can fit 2 of the stickers on 1 so that means I have spare plexiglass to either layer for extra strength (not needed) or find somewhere else to do something nifty with it (needed). I have an Idea as well but Ima think on it for a bit and focus on my box atm. Wont even touch an amp rack atm I'm so into this box.

IMAG0574.jpg

I'm heading to the machine shop on campus tomorrow to cut the plexiglass nice and straight using a band saw, need to cut some metal for a project as well.

IMAG0575.jpg

And I'm GRADUATING. I never really cared much about it but the closer I get to it the happier I get. Picked this and the gown up on Monday. Ceremony is on May 3rd so maybe a party that weekend. Come through if your in Orlando :D

IMAG0576.jpg

Im new to the forums and this is the first build that caught my eyes to follow, all very interesting to read and lots of useful information. Although my skills and knowledge of cars and car audio is nowhere near the superiority as most ppl that have been commenting and posting i still find alot of useful information in these threads. I have always been a huge audio head just never got the opportunity to further educate myself with it. I know the basics and i can basically match amps and subs build some boxes install the "basic" system and be happy with the outcome. Im looking at starting my first build this summer in my 07 malibu ltz. Im sure it wont be nothing to crazy but just something i want to mess with for fun. Huge congrats on graduating, my girl graduates next month as well. Kudos to you and good luck, the fiberglassing looks awesome, the build and the car look great so far and i cant wait to see the finished product. Def tuned in.

Im new to the forums and this is the first build that caught my eyes to follow, all very interesting to read and lots of useful information. Although my skills and knowledge of cars and car audio is nowhere near the superiority as most ppl that have been commenting and posting i still find alot of useful information in these threads. I have always been a huge audio head just never got the opportunity to further educate myself with it. I know the basics and i can basically match amps and subs build some boxes install the "basic" system and be happy with the outcome. Im looking at starting my first build this summer in my 07 malibu ltz. Im sure it wont be nothing to crazy but just something i want to mess with for fun. Huge congrats on graduating, my girl graduates next month as well. Kudos to you and good luck, the fiberglassing looks awesome, the build and the car look great so far and i cant wait to see the finished product. Def tuned in.

Thank you for the nice comments. BTW we all started off not knowing anything and theres only one way to learn. :D

Any questions the community here is very helpful and you can always ask me as well, I only answer if I know the question but I don't like not knowing so I usually find the answer. :D

Archived