glueing wood to roof?

Heyis im using .5"mids plywood for roof bracing... and i kefered it.. how far should you and cut into the wood for a real flex kerf? Also what do you all use to glue into place? I was trying to use 2 part epoxy to stick to the roof but i couldnt get enough contact for it to work. What do you all think?

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

Nothing is gonna make good contact if it isn't formed or the paint isn't roughed up a bit.

Id go pick up some 1/8th ply sand the paint a little, form the wood, use the epoxy as you are..then once the epoxy sets mix some more up and lay it on top of the ply like bondo. Shit should be stiff as hell.

Excuse me if this doesn't make much sense though, its almost 3am..been awake from 7am.

For kerfs you want to cut almost all the way thru leaving about 1/16th to 1/8th of material on the face. Cut as many times as you need to get it to bend in the shape you need. More cuts equals a tighter radius.

Im assuming your doing this in your S-10 and you have no roof bracing to screw into. Thats the way my 88 S-15 is. I would use spray foam to adhere the wood to the ceiling. Spray foam is very adhesive to metal and wood. I would give the roof a good cleaning first. It will also solve the problem your having with areas to contact to. The foam should expand into the voids and areas that you wouldnt be able to contact with a normal adhesive. Its gonna be messy but it should work.

Just spray the foam on the wood and shove it up into the ceiling. Brace it well from underneath and leave it sit and cure for 24 hours. Should be solid as a rock when its all done.

Archived