Explaining how we don't get hearing damage from bass

I lost some of my hearing above 14k when I was in the military as a flight mechanic. The C-9's C-5's or 130's weren't nearly as bad as the fighters that came through. I wanted to duck inside even with double hearing protection. We would test run the engines at full power and you could feel the oscillations in the concrete and in your chest. I think human ears are the most sensitive between 2-4k.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

You also have to consider distortion too, a distorted wave can cause more damage than a clean wave signal also. That's why it hurts your ears when you turn up a cheap radio, but when you turn up a nice stereo system on the same volume, you feel nothing. This is only really good till you reach a level your ears can't handle, regardless if the thd is less than 1%, simply because of the sound pressure it self.

Edit: I've sat in a 160db van before that was set by a DD-1, and my ears didn't hurt, but I came out disoriented, and with a headache, I'm also 19 years old.

I have also been told that it is the distortion that causes damage too. On another note about 7yrs ago I had my hearing checked for my job and another one about 8 months ago and after comparing the results my hearing seemed to have strengthened slightly. it seems weird to me that my hearing would get better even after 6 yrs. Huh.

You also have to consider distortion too, a distorted wave can cause more damage than a clean wave signal also. That's why it hurts your ears when you turn up a cheap radio, but when you turn up a nice stereo system on the same volume, you feel nothing. This is only really good till you reach a level your ears can't handle, regardless if the thd is less than 1%, simply because of the sound pressure it self.

Edit: I've sat in a 160db van before that was set by a DD-1, and my ears didn't hurt, but I came out disoriented, and with a headache, I'm also 19 years old.

I have also been told that it is the distortion that causes damage too. On another note about 7yrs ago I had my hearing checked for my job and another one about 8 months ago and after comparing the results my hearing seemed to have strengthened slightly. it seems weird to me that my hearing would get better even after 6 yrs. Huh.

did you go to the same place? Possibly the first test you werent too sure what to listen to, but the second test you were.

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

most of the time, its the higher frequencies from adding more mids and highs/amps for said mids and highs, which makes them just so much louder, because you need your mids and highs to keep up with the bass..

so, technically, they are right by saying bass kills your ears, but are wrong for the reasons

louder bass = louder highs = loss of hearing

i can sit in 158db at 35-55hz all day long and be fine, i sit in a car doing a 128 with mids and highs, and i have a headache, and ringing in my ears

atleast from everything ive experienced first hand..

not a doctor or anything

irpirate's doors do a 126 :) lol

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

did you go to the same place? Possibly the first test you werent too sure what to listen to, but the second test you were.

I was tested both times in a sound proofed mobile testing trailer. Also both times I tried to press the button only when I would hear the beeeep. Maybe I just got lucky more this last time. Haha

I was tested both times in a sound proofed mobile testing trailer. Also both times I tried to press the button only when I would hear the beeeep. Maybe I just got lucky more this last time. Haha

lol I used to just guess at my hearing tests. But then they say words like toothpaste and I would say hotdog bc i knew they say words like that. obviously i would fail that test hahah!

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

lol I used to just guess at my hearing tests. But then they say words like toothpaste and I would say hotdog bc i knew they say words like that. obviously i would fail that test hahah!

Thats tight, but yea when in doubt just guess. And ist the LRAD suppost to be able to screw with all your senses or something?

Jaylor Swift did you mean the Fletcher-Munson curves?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours

I've got my head around how the ear works and the way in which we perceive the sound but there is still very little info about the effects of lower frequencies at high dbs.

Daniel Brill-Edwards - Representing English Bassheads!!

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

New build coming soon with SMD V1 #99

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/brilledwards

distortion has nothing to do with the issue. play a 2500hz sine wave through your headphones and tell me how long you can take it... not very long at all and thats pure signal no distortion. might have something to do with the ear drums fs... lol

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Archived