Second Skin Audio

Reduce port noise?

I noticed last week when I first got my wall playing that I had some annoying port noise on the lows. The port is a middle port 4.5" wide 24" tall and 17.5" deep. 2 Fi BTL 15's tuned to 33hz. I'm not sure how to fix this or reduce the noise. Where the baffle meets the port there is a slight lip in spots I need to make it all smooth but I cant figure out how to shave the baffle flush with the port opening without damaging the port walls?

Edited by Amart88

Is the box rounded over on the front and the back of the port?

Yep the back is all rounded and sanded. The front is not so much. There is also a brace in the middle of the port. heres an old pic.

IMG_0005.jpg

Edited by Amart88

can you describe the sound your hearing???

is it an air leak or a fluttering sound?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

See if you can take a strip of sandpaper and smooth out the corners on the middle brace

And use a 1.5" roundover bit on the port

Edited by SnowDrifter

Ok. The sound is like a woosh woosh woosh hollow sound only on Low notes at higher volume. I sanded the middle brace and a little bit of the port but it did not help much. I need to round the port edges but i have no router to do it with :( I do have a dremel though

Edited by Amart88

Ya bro, check out my build log and my box. I rounded over the edges of my port on the outside purely with sand paper. Also what exactly is port noise? I got a noise that I hear when Low notes play to, I'll try to explain it. When the low note is building up in some songs, I hear air moving as I hear the bass increasing, just sounds like a wooshing noise to the bass. Song that always does it is the intro to the Decafed version of Bear Trap - Excision Remix.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Ok, will do. Ummmm kind of like if you blew through a paper towel tube hollow whooshy sound that goes with the bass lol just air moving but if i could make it flow better than that would be great.