Mechman Alternators

squeeling belt and dimming lights

Yes, i had squealing on my envoy from a lack of tension depending on where the belt tensioner was located and the idler pulley on my truck is known for crapping out often so mine was shot and that was squeaking all the time because the bearing grease leaked out of the idler pulley under my alt. I replaced the tensioner, idler pulley and put a fresh belt on it and have had no problems since then. Plus i always get a new belt every so often from advance auto when mine starts to get really badly glazed over and they do it under warranty.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Is there a good trick to see if the belt is lined up? I just eyeballed it the best I could to install it.

if all the ribs are on all the pulleys, then it's fine. just make sure the belt isnt hanging over the edge of a pulley

Ok well I am new to this but not a total dumb ass. lol I wouldn't have left it if there was half the belt hanging off. I took the alt off atleast 10 times trying to get it lined up best i could

1349713160_rte.png

Actually kranny its not about getting the ribs to line up. You need a laser tool to bolt onto the crankshaft and line up one slot of the rib to each pulley that is ribbed. You can also kinda line it up with a piece of white yarn and eyeball it from the side to see if lines up. My alternator is off by half a rib but im not that concerned about it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Actually kranny its not about getting the ribs to line up. You need a laser tool to bolt onto the crankshaft and line up one slot of the rib to each pulley that is ribbed. You can also kinda line it up with a piece of white yarn and eyeball it from the side to see if lines up. My alternator is off by half a rib but im not that concerned about it.

really? i've never heard of that before. i learned something new today

Edited by Kranny

so take the belt off and run a piece of white yarn along either the inside or outside of all the pulleys and eyeball it that way?

and any ideas on the dimming of the lights. I know the voltage isn't bad it is about 14.6 when i am going down the road

1349713160_rte.png

Here you go:

This is what you should try. As for the dimming lights, when your belt is slipping it is gliding over the pulley on your alternator or other pulleys rather than spinning them. This means that for a second or however long the slipping occurs your alt is not actually spinning and that causes the drop in voltage. You need to correct the slipping or your alt will die from overheating with how hot those pulleys get (most alternator pulleys will turn deep green in color if they are getting too hot).