A Suburban A Warhorse and a Pair of SMDeez

So I will resurrect this build once again. I myself have two 18" SMDs. And I am looking at getting a warhorse to power them. My subs are dual 2ohm coils. Cani wire this amp at a 2ohm load or is there something different about the WARHoRSE.

The warhorse is different.

Two dual 2 subs can wire to 1 ohm or 4 ohms when it comes to wiring up to the warhorse.

But hey, 5000 Watts @ 4 ohms should sound pretty good too.

Two Dual 2ohm subs can get wired to 2ohm or 0.5ohm. Each sub would be 1 or 4ohms.

take baby steps, u cant do it all at once unless u have a roll of 100's big enough to choke a donkey

1998 Chevy Venture "Swagger Wagon"

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 Headunit

3 15" Alpine Type R's in seperate T-Lines

1 RF T1500-1bd for 2 of the 15s

1 RF P1000-1bd for the single 15

3 sets of Hifonics Zeus ZXi6.5C Components( 1 more set to come for Front stage)

1 Hifonics HFi100.4 4-channel amp

Stock alt for now (DC HO SPL 400A when funds come in,currently working on buying this)

Stock battery and one Optima Redtop for now (looking at XS batteries)

3 15" Alpine Type R's (aka Swagger Wagon Build 1.0)

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

So I will resurrect this build once again. I myself have two 18" SMDs. And I am looking at getting a warhorse to power them. My subs are dual 2ohm coils. Cani wire this amp at a 2ohm load or is there something different about the WARHoRSE.

Two dual 2 subs can wire to 1 ohm or 4 ohms when it comes to wiring up to the warhorse.

Two Dual 2ohm subs can get wired to 2ohm or 0.5ohm. Each sub would be 1 or 4ohms.

To achieve a 2 ohm nominal load for the WARHORSE, your subs should be dual 1 ohm coils. I believe this is mentioned in the build. I also have a warhorse and d1 SMD 18s.

No, not with a warhorse.

Think of a warhorse as an unbridgeable 2 channel amp that you have to put 1/2 of the total number of coils of each sub on each channel.

The wiring options are 1 or 4. The amp is rated to 2, so 1 is at your own risk...

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

So it's not a 1 channel amp like ts labeled as. It's really a 2 channel amp. That does 5k x2@2ohm

take baby steps, u cant do it all at once unless u have a roll of 100's big enough to choke a donkey

1998 Chevy Venture "Swagger Wagon"

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 Headunit

3 15" Alpine Type R's in seperate T-Lines

1 RF T1500-1bd for 2 of the 15s

1 RF P1000-1bd for the single 15

3 sets of Hifonics Zeus ZXi6.5C Components( 1 more set to come for Front stage)

1 Hifonics HFi100.4 4-channel amp

Stock alt for now (DC HO SPL 400A when funds come in,currently working on buying this)

Stock battery and one Optima Redtop for now (looking at XS batteries)

3 15" Alpine Type R's (aka Swagger Wagon Build 1.0)

Swagger Wagon Build 2.0

Youtube Videos

Long time no talk :D how's everybody doing? I've got a little update to share. Since having my arse handed to me at an SQ comp in College Station and being a little jelly of all the badass fiberglass work I've been seeing as of late. I've decided to up my game a wee bit, starting with the a-pillars. Lets begin. :)

I started off with a little flush mount pad for the tweeter and a little mdf wedge to mount it on the a-pillar.

1_zps48fe3876.jpg

After a couple of measurements I mounted the pads onto the a-pillar with a generous amount of hot glue.

2_zps35f4ccfc.jpg

A quick trip to the dollar store netted a nice pair of ladies knee-highs. I added some rubber bands to help shape the pod to my liking.

3_zpse838926c.jpg

I opted for a thin layer of resin on the nylon for a little rigidity before laying down some glass.

4_zps79ae8699.jpg

With the rubber bands out of the way I laid down two layers of woven style fiberglass. FYI, all glassing materials were picked up at the local Wally-mart. :P

5_zps9527efe9.jpg

After a light sanding some body filler went on.

06_zps2804767c.jpg

After some more sanding the light weight body filler went on.

07_zps84ced6a1.jpg

After even more sanding the surface is finally ready.

08_zps6f6901ef.jpg

With a show coming up I opted to install the a-pillars naked. Some time next week I'll be wrapping them in vinyl. For now some as installed pics.

A shot from the drivers side looking towards the passenger side tweeter.

09_zps18147764.jpg

Now from the passenger side looking at the driver side tweeter.

10_zpsdec009f7.jpg

Lastly a pick from the rear seat.

11_zps7884ae26.jpg

Till next time, enjoy. :D

So it's not a 1 channel amp like ts labeled as. It's really a 2 channel amp. That does 5k x2@2ohm

It's a very unique amp in how subs wire up to it and how it drives subs. I strongly suggest you download the manual from the manufacturers website and study up on it real hard. If you can wrap your head around how it does what it does, and can afford the electrical requirements is a badass of an amp. I dig mine fo-sho.

Oh boy, here comes the Warhorse wiring tutorial...

:D

• 3 months later...

Ever since I got into car audio, I had it in my head, that the pinnacle of SQ was running underdash horns. I was young and naive. Regardless, over the years I would tell myself that one day I would run some underdash horns. Well, that day has come, and here is the proof. :D I stuck with an original:
01_zpsa4e2d833.jpg

Showing off like a proud papa. :D
02_zps178ef7e2.jpg

A pic of the ride they will be calling home.
03_zpsa8d8448b.jpg

I started off by mocking up the passenger side horn. To get the horn tucked up nice and high, I cut off these bosses on the HVAC blower housing.
04_zps4d620e8e.jpg

From there I was able to whip up a bracket in CAD and have it cut out.
05_zpsf95f3e33.jpg

With the horn bracket in place I transferred the mounting hole locations onto the horn bodyand get it in place.
06_zps58e3c28b.jpg

With the front side good to go, I look towards the compression driver end of the horn to addsome support. I opted to make an "L" bracket out of the supplied straps. Here I use a squarescrap of mdf as a gage to figure the short leg length of the bracket.
07_zps5e80e82c.jpg

To ensure that the bracket is properly oriented, I scribed the outline of it in it's installed position. :)
08_zpse1d2b050.jpg

On the kick panel I attached a riv-nut, simplifying removal and re-installation of the hornbody.

09_zps0ce35280.jpg

Here is the passenger side horn in it's new home.
11_zpsae86126f.jpg

More on the way. :)

Archived