Second Skin Audio

Inverting subs?

According to Ed Lestor, you will more than likely notice a small loss in spl. To the ear, no big deal. But if you were serious on the meter, possibly.

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Damn, that looks decent!!. you bastards with SUV's, and more room than my house, have all the fun...... hell, with the polarity, try it both ways... and tell us if you notice a differance...just to horse around......

Also, maybe im high, but now you have acheived "more" enclosure area, by adding the woofer(s) displacment, are ya able to tell me how it changed your tuning and enclosure DIM's and all that info i struggle with?

What was your enclosure area/tuning before and after the invert? Im just curious how it all adds up..and how much of a change it made. .Anyway, good luck with all of it, and get some vids of those dancing.....cheers

I was always taught to wire out of phase... its a must with sealed enclosures...but ported I don't know.. in reality a subs suspension is designed to push out..if you wire it out of phase it will push towards motor..I'm curious how leving it wired in phase acts..yougetting more pressure out of the port... hmmm I'm no sub genious..someone chime in would be

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

My amp has a phase 0/180 switch so if I needed to reverse the polarity I can just use the switch.

I've been reading up on invert mount and I've read with both subs inverted you can wire normal or reverse. As for the subs blending with the system...I'm still running stock Bose mids and highs. These 18"s will over power them with ease

Next on my list is all new mids and highs

I think I'm gunna try wiring normal first and see how I like it, then maybe switch the polarity and maybe normal mount them

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

Damn, that looks decent!!. you bastards with SUV's, and more room than my house, have all the fun...... hell, with the polarity, try it both ways... and tell us if you notice a differance...just to horse around......

Also, maybe im high, but now you have acheived "more" enclosure area, by adding the woofer(s) displacment, are ya able to tell me how it changed your tuning and enclosure DIM's and all that info i struggle with?

What was your enclosure area/tuning before and after the invert? Im just curious how it all adds up..and how much of a change it made. .Anyway, good luck with all of it, and get some vids of those dancing.....cheers

I know the sub displacement is .5 for both subs, I'll have to go back and add up my bracing displacement and get a final net volume and tuning because it's a Lil diffrent then it was on paper

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

I was always taught to wire out of phase... its a must with sealed enclosures...but ported I don't know.. in reality a subs suspension is designed to push out..if you wire it out of phase it will push towards motor..I'm curious how leving it wired in phase acts..yougetting more pressure out of the port... hmmm I'm no sub genious..someone chime in would be

I'm no sub expert either but I don't think it would matter as far as pressure out of the port which way the subs are mounted or the phase. Just a guess though.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

that suspension thing seems silly in my mind. subs go in and out. why would you want the suspension to be utilized to move in one direction better than the other?

I know the sub displacement is .5 for both subs, I'll have to go back and add up my bracing displacement and get a final net volume and tuning because it's a Lil diffrent then it was on paper

I think that would be cool, just when you can, no rush bud. Im just curious is all, no attack bullshit, or any of that, just wanna see the before, and aftermath, improvment, or whatever is all..... .5 x 2 ? you did gain a full (i know, more or less) cubic foot of vol?.. anyway, you better get a camera, and post some bs, or taint punching is comin !!.... good luck, and appreciate the help with the knowledge man.... get on it....

Archived