DC Sound Lab

mixing m1 subs with m2

Damn, I'm just waiting for the build! 8 18" xl's in a fourth in a Tahoe??? Nice! :popcorn:

I'd go for upgrading to the M2's if you can wing it though.

Edited by sprkn_ranger

All depends if you want to keep the second row seats. Also have to keep in mind how much room you will need for batteries to power 4 5ks. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 XP3000s or D3100s would be where i would start. Just let me know when you want the invoice for the amps, you should have my number in your inbox.

Also to answer the original question, I got a chance to talk to Rusty today.

With the way a 4th order is built and the ability to have the m1s and m2s in separate chambers from each other and each would have their own dedicated amps, it could be done. Theoretically there shouldnt be much if any audible differences and they shouldnt fight each other or cause cancellation. 8 of the same sub would be ideal, but if you wanted to go with 4 of each to start, it is do able without causing harm.

An example Rusty gave me of this was a vehicle that had 2 Level 5 18s and then upgraded to 2 Neo 18s. The neos were louder than the level 5s. One day just before a show during testing, one of the neos unloaded and shreaded a cone. With a show the next day and no recones, they just dropped a Level 5 back in the vehicle and now had 1 neo and 1 level 5 running. The score actually went up .5db with the mix matched subs. Numerous tests were done to make sure it wasnt a fluke. So mixing subs. while its not ideal, sometimes can work out in weird ways.

No way your going to fit 8 18s at c pillar...4 18s won't work ideally I've researched..my opinion to you op is sell m1s buy 4 -6 m2s on 20k.. remember just because you have a 5k amp doesn't mean your goin to get 5k..there's box rise and voltage an amperage to consider.. I have over 5k in my electrical and it barely cover my 17k watts..I only use 4 -18s on 2 -dc 7.5s in a nonwall box..and do 156s.I won state championships and placed 4th in the nation at dbdrag world finals..so its not always about a lot of subs and huge power..its 80% enclosure and design... the electrical subs amps and so on..prime example..corona jeff doing 159.2 with 4 m2 15s on 2 ab 1100s.. and a huge battery bank..

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.