Sundown Audio

amp gets hot quick

So the amp I have running my kids and highs....kemwood kac7202...its only turned half way up and its getting really hot within 15 to 20 minutes...anyone have an idea of why that is when it's only turned half way up?? I kno amps get pretty warm sometimes but it shouldn't get this hot

iirc, kenwood amps run hot just like the power acoustic amps

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)

Mids and highs amp (this may seem wierd) runs ALOT more bandwidth than sub amps ... The literally work harder ...

Give them as much air flow as you can ... some people set their air cond. to bi-level and run ducts to their amp racks ... I'm in the process of doing this to mine ...

Install fans over the summer to keep them cool if you can ... Just my suggestion here guys ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

So the amp I have running my kids and highs....kemwood kac7202...its only turned half way up and its getting really hot within 15 to 20 minutes...anyone have an idea of why that is when it's only turned half way up?? I kno amps get pretty warm sometimes but it shouldn't get this hot

How the hell does that amp run your kids?.. That's just scary.. haha.

Ohm load, and/or like cable said install some fans sure it wouldn't be to hard nor very expensive and would def make for a long lasting amp being that it won't overheat.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Most 2 channel amps will handle a 2 ohm load "Stereo" ... but if the ohm load is off balance, I could very well be a problem ...

Be sure to check your wiring configuration for proper balance ... and make sure your grounds are good, loose grounds will force a amp ot overwork itself and overheat ...

Also, even though you "Show" good voltage, you may not have enough battery power ... Remember, class A/B amps are "High voltage" amps and not "High Current" amps like the Class Ds ... Trust me, there is a BIG difference ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch