What I saw in the pics that I went through was like a 4" gap between the port and the rear deck. This needs to be filled(port extension) and run up through the rear deck. If what I am seeing is right, then fixing this will make a huge difference.

Hey buddy I have a braizing question for you, when you get back and time.

When doing it, how big a gap do you put between each piece? 1/8?

I'm back!

Don't follow, which gap are you referring to?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Love this build man. Always have. Keep it up!! :)

Thanks Dude!

I hate you wicks, one of my all time favorite cars with the same amp and (almost) same subs I have, combined with the insane fabrication so far. Hahaha build is looking amazing man

Thanks, much appreciated! :good:

Insane fabrication is a stretch but I'm trying to make this build as unique and clean as I can. :D

Ok I think I may have answered my own question, if I am wrong, please feel free to tell me to shut up at any point. I have read back through about half of the log just looking at pics to try and see if I see anything that would help those numbers and I think I may.

The issue I am seeing is with the port. I see it firing up into the rear deck, but not through it. The port needs to actually come up through the deck and into the car for it to work like it should. Basically what is happening is you are just losing all of that pressure and it is being trapped in the trunk. Sealing off the box from the back of the trunk wont matter if the air flow from the port is not actually making it into the cabin. If you are able to fix this, you will see a dramatic change.

2 options to fix this.

Option 1- Figure out how to extend the port up through the rear deck. This option requires the cutting of the rear deck.

Option 2- Rebuild the box and do a single port out the front of the box into the cabin and seal off the box from the back.

Either option is tough, one requires cutting the rear deck and figuring out how to extend the port up through it. The other requires taking it all out and starting over.

If I am wrong, please tell me and I will go back and hide in a corner and keep watching, but if not, I hope these suggestions help.

Hey Cody,

Nope, you're right on the money.

I didn't have enough clean room for a front facing port so I had to go up through the rear deck.

I was also hesitant to cut the rear deck so the ports fire through a few holes in the rear deck that were already there (factory speaker holes and a couple others).

Its definitely not a clean transition though into the cabin so a good amount of pressure is going into the trunk.

As you can see from my latest video, even with the rear "somewhat' sealed at the back of the box, I'm still getting a lot of energy vibrating the trunk lid.

Your idea is exactly what I've been thinking about the past week since making that video.

I need to cut the rear deck, extend the ports upwards into the cabin and integrate the ends of the ports into a newly and fully sealed rear deck.

I've gone so far into this build that returning the car to stock is very unlikely. So the idea of cutting the rear deck is becoming more appealing.

Thanks for the comment Sir, always welcomed! :drinks:

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

Would a grill cloth application trap sound too Cody? I'm just thinking of if he was trying to keep it non visible when the seats are up. I think now it's kind of stealthy for him. I was thinking of this on my build as well.

I'll wait and see what he says too. I'm not sure what his application goals are either.

LOL he may still be recovering from his wine excursion this weekend!

:D Recovering indeed, Sir!

That is another thought of mine, how to cover those new ports that extend up through the rear deck. Hmmm, I'll have to think about that one?

When you're putting two pieces together. The joint that you're brazing, do they need to be butt up together or a gap for the braze to flow into?

Ohhh, Duh, I took "braizing" to mean important.... :Doh:

I just cleaned the aluminum off real good and maybe beveled the edge a little, otherwise I placed both pieces directly together.

The brazing rods liquify pretty good so you don't want a huge gap for the material to simply run through.

Get that metal REALLY hot though, you want the materials to bond together. I've had a situation or two where some contamination gave me a cold solder/braze joint and the pieces easily broke apart.

DAMN! Ok. I'll do what I can!

I'm local to him and have a few projects I need help with. Maybe I can slow him down for you... LMFAO!!!

Thanks man! Always depend on another forum member to help me out! LOL

Hmmmmmmm, I see how it is. :nea:

I'm starting to build up some momentum so you're going to need more than that to slow me down! :D

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Hmmmmmmm, I see how it is. :nea:

I'm starting to build up some momentum so you're going to need more than that to slow me down! :D

Oh really? I can think of a day to waste this weekend. Give me a demo, I give you a demo, then we do those lights. Can do my rear shelf with some SS... trunk lid...

Think that's enough to slow you down? I can get more... like some velcro to secure that batt... lmfao.

Sheena = pedobear

Yeah, I've got about 3 too many projects going on all at once. I need to actually slow down and finish one and then work on another one. Just hard with my scattered time availability to work on this stuff.

I'm taking a different direction though. I'm going to work on the power first, get it all squared away then I can have power for the back already there and ran. I don't know.

Enjoy, I'm sure going to be!! LOL :eek5wavey:

Yeah, I've got about 3 too many projects going on all at once. I need to actually slow down and finish one and then work on another one. Just hard with my scattered time availability to work on this stuff.

I'm taking a different direction though. I'm going to work on the power first, get it all squared away then I can have power for the back already there and ran. I don't know.

Enjoy, I'm sure going to be!! LOL :eek5wavey:

That's me. All I said up there? "Easy" for most. But eh. Tryin to find a 2nd job (2nd full time), get all the material gathered up, etc? Too busy lol. I been on the hunt for something and just found it yesterday... now to order it and wait. Lol.

Sheena = pedobear

Archived