Sundown Audio

What is the point of the 180 degree phase switch ?

Um-k . . . the switch you refer to is designed to reverse the phase of the connected subwoofer(s) at the line level. It's two most common uses are:

1. For SQ systems, this allows you to quickly reverse the phase of the subwoofer(s) so that you can get them to integrate better with the front speakers. Keep in mind, in such systems, it is not desirable for the bass to sound as if it is coming from the rear of the vehicle. In some cases, reversing the phase can be the ticket so that the location of the subwoofer(s) becomes less detectable to one's ears. The net result is that the subwoofer(s) will integrate better with the front speakers and the transition from low bass to mid bass is smooth - although each is produced by different drivers in different locations.

2. For high-powered woofer systems with pairs of strapped mono amplifiers, the switch is used to invert the phase of the amplifier used to drive the negative (-) half of the wave form.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Some audio bahns have flames on the casing. I've also seen it on Memphis m3s they have Ms on the back.

7975360007_large.jpg

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

x2!

jackie-chan-meme.jpg

x3 wtf??

@snafu....ive always wondered why the phase "switch" on some amps was variable like the gain and other controls vs just a ON or OFF, do you know? when it comes to phase the only experience I've even personally had would be to swap speaker wires to accommodate subs that were mounted inverted

Snfu is 100% correct best explantion there is

For the varible adjustment on the phase has to do with the sq part of what sanfu was saying in order to blend the subs to the front stage a full 180 does not allways work just more tunning options to dial it in more for yur system

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

If your speakers are not mounted inside the box but they are magnet out then the phase 180 allows it to still sound like they are inside the box.

lol you're an idiot. inverting subs doesnt have anything to do with phase. they dont "sound" any different if the motor is outside or inside the box. if i remember correctly, the last time you posted had an absurdly wrong answer.

If your speakers are not mounted inside the box but they are magnet out then the phase 180 allows it to still sound like they are inside the box.

lol you're an idiot. inverting subs doesnt have anything to do with phase. they dont "sound" any different if the motor is outside or inside the box. if i remember correctly, the last time you posted had an absurdly wrong answer.

He must have phase confused with polarity.

A good read for anyone

http://totalproaudio.stevebunting.com/30/basics/phase-or-polarity/

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

A good read for anyone

http://totalproaudio.stevebunting.com/30/basics/phase-or-polarity/

I think he's confused with more than just that...

I thought reversed polarity is what caused a driver to be out of phase?

it is. if you have a speaker wired in reverse phase and you test it by putting a 9v on the speaker leads, it will suck in. right away a dead indication of reverse phase. all you'd have to do is fix your wiring. usually a + wire hooked where a - should be. correct phase will have the speaker pop out when hooked up to the 9v.

you have to reverse the polarity on a sub if you have one mounted normally and the other inverted. just wire the inverted one out of phase.

Edited by Kranny

A good read for anyone

http://totalproaudio...se-or-polarity/

In simple terms, polarity refers specifically to the wiring or the motion of the cone. phase is related to the actual sound waves. polarity effects phase but they aren't the same.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69