Wanting some help on building a computer.

X2 ^

realized i liked it, but its SO relevant for that to be known.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

not at you preston. I just like to fuck with him. lol. I didnt even see what was written just maxims comment.

in other words just stirring up the shit because its funny.

LOL get out of here! I know my posts are walls of text but it's hard to condense thousands of webpages of benchmarking, reviews, and technical data into a few sentences.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

i still dont think it will top the time I posted a job openign and dude went off about me saying something about building a pc isnt the same as what the job required.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I've got a 120GB SSD. Only things on it are Windows, 8GB of program files, and a few games. Battlefield 3 is over 15GB including patch data. Starcraft 2 is pushing 12GB. Assuming you only load those 2 games onto your SSD you've already eaten nearly half your storage space. 64GB is enough for Windows and programs but I'd never recommend a 64GB SSD to someone with a $1900 budget for just their tower. It's not enough storage if you really want to get the most out of your machine.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

all skt 2011 r pci 3.0 capable u do realise that?

I misspoke when I said 2011 has no PCIe 3.0 support. I neglected to include the word "official". Socket 2011 and the X79 chipset have unofficial PCIe 3.0 support as I said a few posts prior.

The point I'm trying to make is that socket 2011 doesn't offer anything a single-screen gamer will ever take advantage of that Ivy Bridge on 1155 doesn't. Nothing other than a few extra hundred dollars spent on the motherboard and CPU. There is no discernable performance increase in GPU-bound scenarios at 1080p between a $1000 i7-3960X and a $200 i5-3450.

wtf is lolcats?

I've got a 120GB SSD. Only things on it are Windows, 8GB of program files, and a few games. Battlefield 3 is over 15GB including patch data. Starcraft 2 is pushing 12GB. Assuming you only load those 2 games onto your SSD you've already eaten nearly half your storage space. 64GB is enough for Windows and programs but I'd never recommend a 64GB SSD to someone with a $1900 budget for just their tower. It's not enough storage if you really want to get the most out of your machine.

The man speaks truth. I have a 120GB ssd, and I only have about 40 gigs left. SSDs need available space to properly manage NAND wear. If you use your computer for more than strict gaming, you will appreciate the extra space. And I'm one of the people that believes buying an SSD ONLY to boot Windows is a complete waste of money. Its like buying a Warhorse to only put a couple CVRs on it. Anyway, I'd suggest nothing smaller than 128 gigs unless you are absolutely sure you can support everything on a 64 gig SSD.

On 1155, anything greater than 1333 mhz RAM is not going to give you a noticable increase in in-game performance. I forgot who did it, but there's a test a site did a while back. The increases are negligible. MAYBE a frame per second moving from 1333 to 1866. (EDIT: Found it)

Same goes for quad-channel memory vs dual-channel. In gaming, the separation is there, but it isn't great enough to make it worth the cost. Memory bandwidth isn't the bottleneck in gaming.

HT is not going to make a huge difference in gaming either. Few games take full advantage of 4 cores, let alone the 8 that HT on the 2600k make available. In some cases, HT HURTS gaming performance.

LGA2011 is a waste of money for single/double GPU gaming. Period. If you're a pro-overclocker who is looking to get all the 3D marks, or you're running a 4-way SLI/CF rig, then 2011 is for you. PCIe 2.0 is good enough even at x8/x8 to prevent bottlenecking even the GTX680 (to a large extent). If you're someone that's running encodes all the time, or you have a bunch of VMs open constantly, buy LGA2011.

If you're a gamer, 1155 is where you want to be. Is it likely going to be EOLd in 10-18 months? Yep, but by the time you're going to upgrade LGA2011, it will be EOLd as well. Buying Intel anything with the hopes of futureproofing is, well, stupid. Buy the computer you need now, and worry about everything else later.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

omg you use bit-tech too! :]

Conclusion of what to Buy

If you're the type of person that runs dozens of applications all at once, then a higher memory frequency does help, particularly when you're running demanding software. However, our testing shows that memory rated at over 1,866MHz doesn't give much extra performance. Worse still, in some applications only 1,333MHz memory gives a performance penalty, meaning that 1,600MHz memory is fine.

If you're doing anything other than heavy multi-tasking - this goes for gamers in particular - then a 1,600MHz or 1,866MHz kit is plenty. You could opt for CL8, as we saw some advantage in the video encoding test, but we wouldn't obsess over this factor, especially if a CL9 kit is much cheaper.

Always remember to buy from a reputable manufacturer, though, as cheap and unbranded memory tends to cause more trouble than the saving is worth. We'd also strongly advise you to opt for at least a 4GB, dual-channel kit. We expect 8GB kits to be common this time around, and these are worth considering if you run a few resource-heavy applications concurrently.

(stolen from last page of bit-techs article)

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

Also, FWIW, I'm at 1080 and running a i3-2105 with at 560 ti 448 and 8 gigs of 1333 RAM and stay above 40 frames per second on 64-man Battlefield 3, even when in a fire fight.

I'm CPU bound, but not by much. In a game that isn't quite so CPU intensive, I'd STILL be heavily GPU bound.

omg you use bit-tech too! :]

They have their issues, but overall, they're a good site.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Archived