Alt or Batt 1st?

Pretty sure I already know the answer, just wanted to be sure... lol...Situation;

Drawing around 150 amps atm w/ a stock 136 alt and Yellow top. My stock alt is being kinda weird.... While driving, Ill full tilt it, voltage will drop, but go right back up and stay pretty much pinned @14v on the dash. However, it will fluxuate some depending on the song. I never even thought it would go past the 14v mark, but sometimes it does. Its like the alt turns on when it wants too ...Still get flickering w/ proper Big 3 and 1/0 even at highway speeds and steady volts on the dash.. Lets not talk about idle... lol... Its terriabe voltage.

I would like to upgrade to a 2500D or M3A in the distant future (5-6months), as I think the SA12's can take more then the 1400ish Im giving them, they barely move...

Got around 550-600 bucks to spend total atm. Best bang for the buck still a 270 alt or xs6500? Both will come in time, just wanna know what to buy 1st.

I'd say check each and every one of your connections first.

What car do you drive?

Pretty sure I already know the answer, just wanted to be sure... lol...Situation;

Drawing around 150 amps atm w/ a stock 136 alt and Yellow top. My stock alt is being kinda weird.... While driving, Ill full tilt it, voltage will drop, but go right back up and stay pretty much pinned @14v on the dash. However, it will fluxuate some depending on the song. I never even thought it would go past the 14v mark, but sometimes it does. Its like the alt turns on when it wants too ...Still get flickering w/ proper Big 3 and 1/0 even at highway speeds and steady volts on the dash.. Lets not talk about idle... lol... Its terriabe voltage.

I would like to upgrade to a 2500D or M3A in the distant future (5-6months), as I think the SA12's can take more then the 1400ish Im giving them, they barely move...

Got around 550-600 bucks to spend total atm. Best bang for the buck still a 270 alt or xs6500? Both will come in time, just wanna know what to buy 1st.

Hey...although we manufacture HO alternators and they are definitely one of the best investments you can put into your vehicle, the money spent will be useless if your batteries are partially charged or just plain awful. Always start with fully charged batteries...test them with a multi-meter to ensure they are fully charged. When using batteries in series, disconnect all and test each individually as batteries in series will mask each other. Now, if your batteries are good and your voltage is dropping, then the move would be towards a great alternator. Low idle output is where our product thrives. Take for example the unit we designed for Steve Meade...it's a 340amp unit that pushes out 240amps at 800rpm. While this is not a fit for a lot of applications, we have other sizes that will enable you to not only enjoy your commute and full functionality of your accessories, but also run that stereo of yours at full tilt. If you have any other questions, please feel free to email me directly [email protected]. We have a May special that may interest you.

Michael

Archived