Sonic Electronix

so i never really work with wood much other than 2 years in high school (craftsmanship 1 & 2)

i know the basics but i got a few questions that maybe some of you can answer!

first things first!

this is a 97 jimmy

truck is GUTTED!

not back seats (front seats are out right now)

all factory carpet and insulation is gone

all trim pieces are out

100sq feet of FatMat is laid on the floor from fire wall to rear trunk latch lol

my main question is:

should i carpet the floor first, or build a false floor and carpet after?

the box is going to be 51" x 37"x 25" and will be carpeted aswell and bolted down to the false floor with L brackets and possibly threaded rods through the bottom

if i need to get pics/video i will so its a little easier to understand what im asking!

materials i have on hand:

3 sheets of 1/2 MDF (2feet by 4 feet)

2 2x10s

some liquid nails

a box of screws (cant remember what i used them for but they should work)

20 or so 1 1/2 self tapping screws

jig saw

18v drill

120 volt drill

4in angle grinder /w cutting wheels

lol i think thats all but just to get an ideal of what i have

if i dont get many opinions or advise ill just wing it :)

Edited by Bear Gri11z

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

build the false floor then carpet. you can always recarpet again later

468x60drc.jpg

im going to take a video quick to explain it lol its alot of bull shit to type out give me a few mins to take a video and upload it :)

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF7DAa9ZSOE

maybe it would have been faster to type it out but this way to can visualize what im talking about rather than guessing

and if i build the false floor and then carpet it, wont it be harder to push a box for 4 15's on carpet rather than straight MDF

im also thinking maybe just painting the MDF (i have like 4 cans of krylon satin black from a few months ago) but from what ive seen MDF looks like ass painted because the MDF soaks the paint up and leaves blemishes

let me know!

i would just paint the false floor.. carpet would make it harder to slide the box in and out..BUT also would help hold it in there..

but really your not going to see a great deal of the false floor so id save the carpet for other things..

but i like the idea of extending the floor beyond that "hump" and basically make a "roof" over the batteries..

and yes it takes MANY MANY coats of spray paint for the mdf to stop soaking it up.. but ive painted many boxes and never had any fisheyes or runs in it

i would just paint the false floor.. carpet would make it harder to slide the box in and out..BUT also would help hold it in there..

but really your not going to see a great deal of the false floor so id save the carpet for other things..

but i like the idea of extending the floor beyond that "hump" and basically make a "roof" over the batteries..

and yes it takes MANY MANY coats of spray paint for the mdf to stop soaking it up.. but ive painted many boxes and never had any fisheyes or runs in it

yeah i figure make a level floor from the front seats back... hide the batteries and wire/ my ugly MM1000.4 under it LOL

i kinda want to do a two-tone (grey on black/black on grey) took keep it looking like the stock interior rather than a solid black (my headliner is all black tho)

i dunno would you recommend certain paint over others for MDF?

spray vs outdoor house paint or something of that nature?

To prime I like to use seal grip oil primer, and a foam roller, any good interior/exterior alkyd primer will work. Latex would also work, but oil based products work better under spray paint. 1 coat of that primer is all you need to seal the wood, on all of it but the edges

these orphans aren't going to feast on themselves

Didn't watch the vid, but will you have access to the batteries if you make the "roof" over them?

And I say false floor, then carpet. If you paint the false floor, then slide the box on it, it will be scratched to hell.

Good point about scratching the box, plus anything that is not bolted down on a painted floor will slide around.