Sundown Audio

To fuse or not to fuse.

Should you or should you not use a fuse between a battery and your sub amp?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. To fuse or not to fuse?

noticed only 1 vote for no fusing..

thats the dumbass on here..

i always fuse everything( pos lead to battery off alt is fused then the leads going to back is fused.. then a fuse in front of the amp..

what bugs me is dudes who have a 120amp alt and use 250 300 amp fuses..WHY so itll melt everything before the fuse pops

i always fuse everything( pos lead to battery off alt is fused then the leads going to back is fused.. then a fuse in front of the amp..

what bugs me is dudes who have a 120amp alt and use 250 300 amp fuses..WHY so itll melt everything before the fuse pops

More than likely because they draw from their front battery?

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

You're not fusing to match the alt. You fuse according to wire size. And fusing your Alt to Batt lead is pretty pointless. If the fuse blows, you still have power coming from the other end of that lead. So for it to actually be useful, you'd need two fuses on that one wire. One at the batt and one on the alt.

'11 Jeep Patriot New Build

Head Unit: Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD

Front: Massive CK69 Components

Front Amp: Massive NX2

Rears: Infinity Kappa's

Subs: 8 Sundown SA-8 v2's

Sub Amp: AB 450.1

XS D3100

Come on 150!

lol like in my thread.. The fuse is chosen according to the size of the wire, not the amp.

Edit: ninja'd

Edited by c.director

well i fuse for what my amps draw and my alternator output..

if u guys think thats fine sure go for it.. but ive seen many people around here.. literally melt the amp before the fuse went..and if they would have went with a proper size fuse it wouldnt have happened..

so its like this.. if you guys got say 0g wire..and only using a amp that draws 80amps.. ur still going to put that 250 amp fuse in?

like i said that amp will NEVER trip that fuse unless a complete dead short happens.. (theres a reason why manufacturs include a fuse suited for that amp) they sure dont give you a 300 amp fuse with a amp that draws 80

Edited by getlocivic

if u guys think thats fine sure go for it.. but ive seen many people around here.. literally melt the amp before the fuse went..and if they would have went with a proper size fuse it wouldnt have happened..

so its like this.. if you guys got say 0g wire..and only using a amp that draws 80amps.. ur still going to put that 250 amp fuse in?

like i said that amp will NEVER trip that fuse unless a complete dead short happens.. (theres a reason why manufacturs include a fuse suited for that amp) they sure dont give you a 300 amp fuse with a amp that draws 80

My amp doesn't come fused, so now what?

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

simple rules...

SQ and daily rides = fuse the hell outta your instal

DB-dragging = fuses give amperage loss...

it's all bout safety... also keep in mind that most NON-fused db instals aren't placed in a daily ride...

i burp at db's too (in belgium) i've got it placed in a daily but daily i play @ 14v double fused and for DB the mono and sub section are disconnected from the rest and runs @ 18v non-fused

Dude, the fuse is to protect the wire.. The amp has its on fuses and if doesn't, it is recommended that one is put right before, proper sizing. But other wise a 250 amp fuse in 0 gauge WILL blow if there is a short and will keep your power wire from melting and catching fire to your car, regardless how big your alternator or amplifier are, like its supposed to do.

Edited by c.director

Dude, the fuse is to protect the wire.. The amp has its on fuses and if doesn't, it is recommended that one is put right before, proper sizing. But other wise a 250 amp fuse in 0 gauge WILL blow if there is a short and will keep your power wire from melting and catching fire to your car, regardless how big your alternator or amplifier are, like its supposed to do.

indeed it is...

but also to protect you and your car/instal

for daily use i run double fused... 1 @ front and 1 @ the back cuz i'm running 2 battery's at all times si i've double fused it... just for safe keeps