Sonic Electronix

why do my two 4ohm type rs wired together in parallel give a final ohm reading of 2.9 and 3.0 on DMM?

Can anyone explain why my 2 alpine type r 4ohm subs wired together in parallel are giving a final ohm reading of 2.9 and 3.0 on my digital multimeter? I have not pulled the subs out of the box to test each voice coil yet but I will do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. Ive had them for about 2 months and have had about 800rms in total to both subs. I took them out a few days ago cause they just all the sudden werent loud like they used to be. I thought I had just blown them but them... any help would be great Thanks

Wires might be touching somewhere they shouldn't be. Pulling them out of the box should definitely help isolate the issue.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

or........................... check the internal resistance of the meter. A shitty harbor freight meter i had was .9 to 1.1 ohms high (3 was essentially 2)

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I got home and pulled them out of the box. All of the coils read between 4.6-4.7, I then tested my Memphis Mojos that are Dual 1 Ohm and all of the coils on those came out to be between 1.6-1.7 so I guess my Digital Multimeter is off by around .6-.7. And thanks to ChevyBoy95 for the info because I just bought this DMM from harbor freight 2 days ago. I still dont understand why my readings were 2.9-3.0 when I wired them both in parallel? I took the reading from the terminals from the box is that why? Even with the DMM being off by .6-.7 It still should be around 1.7 unless it adds the two .7s together which would make sense. But that still doesnt help with why they all of the sudden the loudness of them is about half of what it used to be... If I am missing anything please let me know. I checked what I could see of the tinsels and the spider everything looks good. I pulled the gaskets off and checked the cone and surround everything is glued together. You cannot see the voice coils on the type Rs but I figured if that was the problem the readings would have been jumping around.. Thanks to everyone who has been helping me on this.

set your meter to check impedence and touch the probes together. that will tell you how much resistance your probes have. btw if they are that high get new ones.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

The harbor freight meter isn't a quality meter. I can't explain why the subs aren't as loud as they were before, but I can tell you the meter isn't great. I worked at HF for 4 years. There's not a meter in that store that reads resistances like a quality meter does. If I was in your situation I'd start at the signal. Make sure all your Rcas are securely connected and have output. Double check all your grounds, wire, fusing, etc. Take a voltage reading at the front battery and at the terminals of the amp. Make sure the voltage is within .1 from front to back.