Second Skin Audio

where to start doing a wall build . .

1: Get a Dayton Audio Dats from parts express to help with determining the resonant frequencies ----> http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=390-806

2: Depending on power you are using (more power less ratio) (less power more ratio) but typically a good ratio is either 2:1 or 3:1.

3: Build your shell for the 4th order enclosure and also the sealed portion of the enclosure then mount and wire your subs up.

4: Take your Dayton Audio Dats and run a resonance sweep on the sealed enclosure. What ever your Peak is, is where you want to tune your loading wall.

5: 4th orders are typically tuned higher because port velocity is responsible for your lower end

6: Port area is 2:1 or half your cone area

7: Try to keep subs on the same plane. if that is not possible then dont have parallel planes, a V formation is ok.

8: you can add poly Fill to the sealed enclosure to make a smaller sealed chamber this will also help keep your ported chamber smaller, if size of total enclosure is a issue.

If anyone else with a little more knowledge cares to elaborate anymore on this or correct anything feel free

We have a winner.

I'm gonna hate

so when you are figuring the resonance you build the shell where it normally is and do you seal it all to run your sweep? then figure out loading wall and port tuning correct?

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

ha well i know "where" to start building haha. more like where to get 4th order box design from ha

You design one.. I have been playing with a few idea on my vehicle. here is one of them, keep in mind I can not finish the box at this point since I have to build this into the vehicle then find my resonance of the sealed chambers. Then I can build the loading wall and port tuning will be where my resonant peak was.

Sketch3.jpg

Is this using google sketchup?

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

ha well i know "where" to start building haha. more like where to get 4th order box design from ha

You design one.. I have been playing with a few idea on my vehicle. here is one of them, keep in mind I can not finish the box at this point since I have to build this into the vehicle then find my resonance of the sealed chambers. Then I can build the loading wall and port tuning will be where my resonant peak was.

Sketch3.jpg

Is this using google sketchup?

yes it is google sketch up. forgive me because I am not very good with it.

Anyway if you look at this sketch up. This is what will have to be complete in your vehicle in your own variation of course. From this point you drop in your subs and get them wired up. Take your Dayton audio dats and hook the clips up to the speaker leads and run a sweep with the vehicle sealed up. When the sweep is complete you will know what you sealed resonant peak is, at this point you can now put up your loading wall and tune it to your resonant peak.

Edited by Hotdog

also if you are doing a big ratio you will need good bracing. I have been talking with a few people and come to the conclusion that the best bet is to use 1 1/2 pipe with flanges on the ends. One thing that someone told me is that if you go to home depot you can get them cut to length that you need and they will re-thread them for you.

36" height seems small for an escalade.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

that is not for his vehicle it is an example of a 4th order I was thinking about for my self. Just a way to get his thought process going on his own.

that is not for his vehicle it is an example of a 4th order I was thinking about for my self. Just a way to get his thought process going on his own.

36 tall is what the OP said he had.

Floor to ceiling in there is much higher.

I wonder where this measurement is being taken.

Is this a C pillar wall?

also 48 seems like a between the wheel wells measurement. To do a full wall you can get a few more inches in there.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

36 tall is what the OP said he had.

Floor to ceiling in there is much higher.

I wonder where this measurement is being taken.

Is this a C pillar wall?

also 48 seems like a between the wheel wells measurement. To do a full wall you can get a few more inches in there.

yes the 48 is between wheel wells, i was not for sure where to measure , and this is behind the second row " wall" kind of deal, and its 36" from the hatch floor to ceiling, its taller in the rows

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's