Sundown Audio

HELP!!!! Amp started smoking!!!

SkateMike519

I'd have to say defective amp as long as everything was wired correctly. That is to say EVERYTHING WAS WIRED CORRECTLY. You said that you wiggled wires and it brought it out of protect? Something don't seem right.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

I'd have to say defective amp as long as everything was wired correctly. That is to say EVERYTHING WAS WIRED CORRECTLY. You said that you wiggled wires and it brought it out of protect? Something don't seem right.

He said it went into protect first time he powered it off then he turned it off and jiggled some wires and it turned on fine but started smoking.

I wonder if maybe the protect circuit went bad or something.

He said it went into protect first time he powered it off then he turned it off and jiggled some wires and it turned on fine but started smoking.

I wonder if maybe the protect circuit went bad or something.

If everything was good then I'd have to say defective amp.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

My lights dimmed until I went under my car and put a piece of 0 gauge between the bottom of the bolt I was using as my ground point and a sanded piece of my frame I drilled a hole in.

I doubt you have a bad ground if this happened at 0 volume, like others have said, bad amp. Still, check your electrical out while you're waiting on a new one.

I'm gonna hate

My lights dimmed until I went under my car and put a piece of 0 gauge between the bottom of the bolt I was using as my ground point and a sanded piece of my frame I drilled a hole in.

I doubt you have a bad ground if this happened at 0 volume, like others have said, bad amp. Still, check your electrical out while you're waiting on a new one.

He said he didn't sand the paint to bare metal, so I can garuntee his ground isn't as good as it should be.

I moved the ground to the rear seat belt bolt. Still smoked after about 2 mins of being on. DMM showed it was a good ground.

I was using the first and third terminals on the amp. Should I have used the outer terminals on the amp?

Also, *IF* the subs were wired incorrectly, could this have caused the problem? I just can't imagine this error would cause it to begin smoking after only a couple minutes.

It's only a truly good ground if you tested the resistance at the point of ground all the way back to the battery. Which is tough. Just because you get a 12v reading doesn't mean it's a good ground, I can get a 12v reading on my DMM touching the ground probe to any piece of metal in my car. I just took the time to do a lot of sanding and wiring using set screw terminals to terminate all my cables to ensure low resistance.

I'm gonna hate

I moved the ground to the rear seat belt bolt. Still smoked after about 2 mins of being on. DMM showed it was a good ground.

I was using the first and third terminals on the amp. Should I have used the outer terminals on the amp?

Also, *IF* the subs were wired incorrectly, could this have caused the problem? I just can't imagine this error would cause it to begin smoking after only a couple minutes.

It's only a truly good ground if you tested the resistance at the point of ground all the way back to the battery. Which is tough. Just because you get a 12v reading doesn't mean it's a good ground, I can get a 12v reading on my DMM touching the ground probe to any piece of metal in my car. I just took the time to do a lot of sanding and wiring using set screw terminals to terminate all my cables to ensure low resistance.

you dont measure how good a ground is by using volts. you use ohms. your ground should be dead near 0 ohms.

you dont measure how good a ground is by using volts. you use ohms. your ground should be dead near 0 ohms.

That's the point I was making, yes, resistance.

I'm gonna hate

That's the point I was making, yes, resistance.

yeah i know, but you're talking about voltage. not impedance.

Archived