How to keep alternator cool?

As the title suggests...

Any ideas on how to keep my alty nice and cool? The thing gets hot enough to (literally) boil water. It also causes a huge difference between hot a cold voltage with cold being 15.5v and hot being 14.4v.

Car is an 03 Subaru forester. All stock except for using diodes to bring the voltage up from 13.5v hot

Note that it got just as hot without my diode mod

An alternator fan? I've been wondering why I never see anybody use them.

I've never heard of one before haha. Could you link to one?

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do except for cutting a hole in the hood and adding some fans / subaru hood scoop

WP_001312.jpg

WP_001314.jpg

WP_001315.jpg

I have seriously considered making an aluminum heat shield with some heat tape on the inside to go under mine and cover the side the heat would come from. Haven't went through with it yet, just more or less kicking around the idea and wanting feedback. Tuned in to see what the experts say for you here.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Take that stupid belt guard off, then it will get more airflow, i mean what is that a girls bike or a car?. plus the radiator fans will blow on it.

one thing for sure not in the greatest place i don't know what to say try the alternator fan i say someone say

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Seems like your best bet would be to make some kind of heat shield between the alt and the main engine block? They look really close in the picture. Also a hood scoop with cooling fans in it would be pretty bad ass too and would work pretty well i would imagine. Thats a crazy amount of drop due to heat, really unfortunate

Team NorthWestSPL

Can't find a good link. But a few pics.

I don't have enough knowledge with these to say its the best choice to make though.

Auto-Alternator-Fans.jpg

350px-Alternatorcoolfan.jpg

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png