Total shutdown....

This is really strange. For about 2 weeks now I have been experiencing much more dimming of my lights when my bass hits. Even at LOW volume my lights dim significantly. When I have the A/C on and the compressor kicks in sometimes my whole system shuts down....headunit, amp and all. Then everything comes back on. I am guessing that my voltage is dipping to 10-ish volts right when my bass hits. This tells me that my regulator on my alt. must be failing. I say so becuase as long as my compressor doesn't kick in I'm getting 13.6 V at my battery terminals while idling. Checked the battery too...12.6 V when engine is off. 13.4 V at my amp while engine is running.

Do you guys have any other culprit in mind for this problem?

--------------

80 A alternator

Coustic 1600D Sub Class D amp.

(1) MTX 8500

4 AWG wiring

Stock battery

4 Farad Power Acoustic Cap

Do a load test or have a load test done on the whole charging system. Sounds to me like the alt or regulator. I wouldn't rule out the battery either

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

U can get it done for free at most parts stores. I bought one 4 30 bucks from harbor freight tools that works just fine.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

yes. I'll make sure all connections are secure tomorrow. But I really do think it's the regulator. Because an 80 A alt. should be able to drive an 800 Wrms amp at moderate vol.

yea it should, but ur tryin to run the rest of ur electrical system off of that too which prolly takes around 50-60 amps of that. so think of how much u have left.

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

yea...could be the batt or the alt i guess...cause if you think about it, you may have been draining your battering pretty good causing your alt. to work overtime to try and keep everything charged. and over the last few weeks this may have led to a partially dead battery, a partially dead alt, or perhaps both??

i likes me some audio stuff...