Second Skin Audio

can anyone point me in the right direction for info on "free-air" designs?

its a boo-boo Boss amp, no sub-sonic filter.. i wonder though, how much trunk is too much or not enough?

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

its a boo-boo Boss amp, no sub-sonic filter.. i wonder though, how much trunk is too much or not enough?

As far as trunk space, that's indifferent. The Boss amp likely has a pre-set subsonic, you can't really run without it, but you will need an amp with an adjustable SS filter for the best results. IB setups get EXTREMELY low and have great SQ when done right.

I'm gonna hate

Tips for an IB setup:

Seal the trunk from the cabin, this sounds like a no-brainer but can be difficult to do properly. This means you need to seal the rear parcel shelf, the back seat, the pockets that go over the rear wheels, etc... If it can leak into the cabin, seal it.

Also with an IB setup the trunk acts as your enclosure. So a smaller trunk is kind of like having a smaller sub box, but usually the differences will be minimal since the trunk is still likely to be quite a bit larger than the "optimal" sub box.

If you are looking for an added element of control, you could always try and fashion your own Aperiodic Membrane in front of or behind the woofer. Basically this becomes a resistively leaky box that in theory will produce the snappy bass on higher sub frequencies yet still go deep on lower frequencies. In the early/mid 90's these were almost a must have for SQ competitors.

A good subsonic is good to have, but again, subsonic filters have become a "standard" on amps only in the last decade or so (maybe late 90's) and cars still sounded great in IB setups before then as well. It's not like a vented enclosure where the sub loses all linearity below it's F3 point, in this case it is still a linear roll off of about 6 dB/octave since it is just a large sealed box.

now that $hit right there... that $hit right there.. thats an answer for that a$$ lol. honestly, it just seems like to much trouble to make it airtight, and i dont see it being worth it after all. i can just use Torres Calc to make a proper vented box. Thanks to all for any and all help that was given

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

For the record you can also run without the trunk sealed, you just need to provide a path for the wave that is long enough to not allow the sub to act in a free-air manner.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.