Picking the right mid/high that's perfect match for a X12" Kicker (pics)

Subwoofer: One Solo X 12" 40hm

amplifier: ZX2500.1

Truck: Nissan Frontier 1999 (with ex cab)

Enclosure: VentedSUV (TheOneToDo) (6 cu.ft) Tuned ~33 to 35hz

Watts: ~2,000wrms

budget for Components: No limit!

34193_442345959065_933888_n.jpg

34476_437185489065_8046512_n.jpg

34476_437185484065_360424_n.jpg

Okay, now you have all information about my setup. Keep in mind that the Components must be made by Kicker and Kicker ONLY. Well, currently, my speakers (6" to 6.5") on two doors are factory and aren't loud enough to meet my needs. I'm looking at QS, RS and KS lines of components Kicker. The thing is I never heard of them in person and need your help deciding which one will be a perfect match with my single Solo X12".

By 'matching', I mean that while blasting the X12 real loud, the Component is able to keep up with it by providing nice and clean sound. QS is very tempting but the price is one thing that holds me back. While, yes, my budget is unlimited, I have to know the difference between QS and RS lines. With the price for QS, I'd expect something like "OMG! The cleanest sound ever!" kinda thing. If there is not a huge difference between QS and RS, then I'd go for RS since it saves money. What do you have suggestion in mind? Thanks. Can't wait to install Solo X12 in my truck soon!

-Smurfboy

Are you going to run an amp on them?

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

Okay, now you have all information about my setup. Keep in mind that the Components must be made by Kicker and Kicker ONLY. Well, currently, my speakers (6" to 6.5") on two doors are factory and aren't loud enough to meet my needs. I'm looking at QS, RS and KS lines of components Kicker. The thing is I never heard of them in person and need your help deciding which one will be a perfect match with my single Solo X12".

By 'matching', I mean that while blasting the X12 real loud, the Component is able to keep up with it by providing nice and clean sound. QS is very tempting but the price is one thing that holds me back. While, yes, my budget is unlimited, I have to know the difference between QS and RS lines. With the price for QS, I'd expect something like "OMG! The cleanest sound ever!" kinda thing. If there is not a huge difference between QS and RS, then I'd go for RS since it saves money. What do you have suggestion in mind? Thanks. Can't wait to install Solo X12 in my truck soon!

-Smurfboy

if you want a loud kicker speaker, look into the marine speakers. i run kicker marine in my pt cruiser and they get louder than the other kickers, and sound just as good as any of them (and believe me, i have ran them all, the cheap ones all the way to the most expensive ones.)

Edited by Hugh G. Rection

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Hey good luck with the setup. I might be able to give you some headups... Running similar setup in my Tiburon.

I am running 1 set of RS65.2 in the front along with the Kicker Solox 12.

I am not running exactly the one to do box but a modified version of the one to do enclosure.

When bass hits the single component cant be heard over the sub lol. I am pushing around 135Wrms to the components by using a DLS CA23. And its really loud but not good enough for the single soloX. Try also running some KS 6930 or 6x9 coaxials as well.

The modified 'one to do' box...

i.e. I am running 6cuft box tuned down to 32hz. I am pushing around 2000W RMS with 2 x DLS CAD11 strapped. It plays the lows pretty well. On a quick test i was playing 143db on 32hz on the song bass I love you. I am running stock electrical.

Now I noticed the sub doesnt play the 40hz upwards pretty well and drops the dbs real quick. So a little investigation showed the the one to do enclosure is tuned around 45hz and the WIN ISD shows that this box will maximize the subs performance.

So please dont tune the box to less than 40 hz if you are going 6cuft.

@Hugh G. Rection, I didn't know that marine speakers can work on cars, lol. I always thought they're for boat only? I'll look into that. Thanks.

@General Neo, thanks for the comments. It gives me an idea what to look for when it comes to box design for Solo X and component altogether.

Edited by Smurfboy

Kicker components to match you Kicker setup ...

I have a set in my son's Ram Charger ... the Sound great !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

@Hugh G. Rection, I didn't know that marine speakers can work on cars, lol. I always thought they're for boat only? I'll look into that. Thanks.

@General Neo, thanks for the comments. It gives me an idea what to look for when it comes to box design for Solo X and component altogether.

I have installed Kicker marines speakers in truck and they do the job. If you actually check with kicker for speakers that can play real loud, for eg playing with trunk open

They would recommend trying out the KM 6500.2 and additional KM6500, these can get really loud. So if you want to install them inside your car, go ahead. Just set the crossovers correctly and do rated power or slight more. They sound really loud.

So for the enclosure do exactly the one to do SUV enclosure. You wont be disappointed. Else you will have burnt coil for sure, atleast the stinking coil.. :)

Good luck.

I have installed Kicker marines speakers in truck and they do the job. If you actually check with kicker for speakers that can play real loud, for eg playing with trunk open

They would recommend trying out the KM 6500.2 and additional KM6500, these can get really loud. So if you want to install them inside your car, go ahead. Just set the crossovers correctly and do rated power or slight more. They sound really loud.

Hm, interesting. I am willing to give it a try and see how it goes! (If I don't like it, then I can always sell it to someone else and get RS series or something). So if you were in my shoe, what setup would you go for in my truck? I was looking at KM Components (KM6250.2) from Kicker.com; still unsure about which Kicker amp to get for it.

Thanks again!! Once I figure out which setup, I will order 'em soon!

Hm, interesting. I am willing to give it a try and see how it goes! (If I don't like it, then I can always sell it to someone else and get RS series or something). So if you were in my shoe, what setup would you go for in my truck? I was looking at KM Components (KM6250.2) from Kicker.com; still unsure about which Kicker amp to get for it.

Thanks again!! Once I figure out which setup, I will order 'em soon!

Those components are nice, should sound real good and get loud on an amp. Any Kicker ZX/DX series 2ch/4ch amp with well-matched wattage ought to drive those speakers fine :)

I'm gonna hate