Second Skin Audio

2 18's in trunk???

qcbangin

Actually, there is only the factory deadener in the trunk. Jason Digos and I built this in 2003 and at the time, we were working for Rockford. I had run out of DeadSkin (Rockford's sound deadener) and intended to finish that at a later time . . . which never happened. Jason designed the baffle board in such a way that there were no big gaps between it and the metal structure. After he bolted it in, I sealed it around the perimeter with silicone caulk. All holes and gaps along the sides of the baffle board behind the seat structure were sealed with 1/4" MDF or ABS plastic and caulk. I closed off the "flow thru" ventilation between the vents in the door jambs and the trunk by stuffing that area with acoustic foam - and I do mean a LOT of it.

This system is now about 8 years old and works as great today as it did then.

gotcha so just sealed as much as possible

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

gotcha so just sealed as much as possible

You got it. By definition "infinite Baffle" is when you mount a woofer in a sealed enclosure with a volume greater than the Vas of the woofer. In the case of these woofers, they each have a Vas of 7.03 cubic feet each, so that isn't quite the case in the Mustang. Big sealed would be more apropos.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

So, is the trunk opening big enough or are you going to assemble the box inside the trunk? I only ask case trunks are like that. Someone at work want to put a 15 in his trunk and the space from top to bottom behind the seat is 15 1/2" I told him it could be done but it would be stupid hard, plus we would have to assemble the box in the trunk. i told him just get a pair of 12's. We'll see how that goes.

think of your trunk as somewhat of a bandpass box. you put a ported box in there, that's the rear chamber of the box, then whatever airspace you have left in the trunk afterwards is the front chamber.

*usually* the larger the front chamber in a bandpass, the louder it gets (exceptions apply).

If you jam 18's in there, you won't have much of a front chamber, but cone area is a factor too. find a sweet spot between cone area and trunk space.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

think of your trunk as somewhat of a bandpass box. you put a ported box in there, that's the rear chamber of the box, then whatever airspace you have left in the trunk afterwards is the front chamber.

*usually* the larger the front chamber in a bandpass, the louder it gets (exceptions apply).

If you jam 18's in there, you won't have much of a front chamber, but cone area is a factor too. find a sweet spot between cone area and trunk space.

^^^^this was well said!

would it help or change the airspace with me cutting the whole rear deck out? It would make a pretty large opening. Its about 15-20" deep and probably about 40-50" wide.

Archived