Second Skin Audio

General Sound Dampening question

Ok so I have a Mitsu Lancer (basic style, ain't got the dough for the Evo). I have 2 RF T2's with a T1500-1 amp. Other week, I blew out my third tail light. Yay right? Nah, it's a nightmare to replace. Talkin over $200 just for the light. So my goal in the long run is to move that damn light or get a custom light built. But that's when I get the money. As for a temporary fix, was thinking of sound dampening it. Only real thing on my car that shakes and makes noise is the trunk (where the subs are obviously). So was wondering from the sound guru's on this page, what's a good brand of sound dampening insulation and where I should put it. Or if there's another method.

I went into a local car audio shop and the only advice they gave me is basically turn down the bass. C'mon, we can't do that now. Why would you buy any car audio at all if you had to just "turn down the bass"? They said any sound dampening wouldn't help. I don't believe that cause my system is powerful (compared to the walmart brand stuff) and I'm blowing tail lights meanwhile got cars out there from SMD and whatnot that may have problems like mine but nothing major (just blowing tail lights and mirrors) but are like 200x more powerful systems? I know most of you have seen that music video by Petey Pablo, the song Vibrate? My car is definitely below walmart brand when it's compared to that, but blowing a tail light and absolutely nothing can be done to help prevent it? I don't believe that. Not saying to find me a fix that will 100% prevent it but gotta be something, right?

And I know, if you customize your car, you gotta know that things may break and all. Cost of modifying your car. Just askin if there's a way to prevent it. That's all.

Sheena = pedobear

Considering you posted this in the Second Skin section, I would recommend Second Skin. ;)

When it comes to sound deadeners you have a lot of choices and unfortunately they are not all created equal. I have a short list of three or four other brands that I would ever consider using in addition to Damplifier and Damplifier Pro simply based on performance.

So IF you want to go shopping and check out and compare different products I would suggest finding a product that has the following:

- A thick 'constraining' foil layer.

- 100% butyl rubber adhesive. Avoid everything that has asphalt or a mastic adhesive.

- And avoid products that come on a roll. These are typically (I have yet to find one that isn't) rebadged roofing products that are being sold AS sound deadener.

As for your dilemma, the car audio shop is correct, just turn it down and your problem will cease to be... but that isn't the only solution.

I would look at treating your trunk and trunk lid with sound deadener. No more than 20 sq. ft. and you should be good to go.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

what generation lancer do you have? oh and the music video for vibrate is pretty much MTX marketing, its about as real as spongebob

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

What gen lancer? It's a Lancer ES. 2010. Basic style, not an evo haha.

And as far as the audio shop being right, I know that's an obvious choice but knew that wasn't the only option. As I say, know my system is decent but there are a lot more powerful ones and I haven't heard of them blowing tail lights or mirrors or anything. So knew there had to be a fix.

Thanks for the input!

Sheena = pedobear

the thing is that not all vehicles are created equal. i dont have any personal experience with that gen lancer unfort but if i was in your shoes id spend a couple hundred on some damp pro or alpha damn and see what happens. dont expect the world thou it could be a design flaw in the lights or acoustics kicking you in the ass

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Damp pro all the way it so far the best I have used and been using and by blowing tail lights you mean cracking right? May be body flex have you looked at it from outside with your system going to see where the stress spots are?

Damp pro all the way it so far the best I have used and been using and by blowing tail lights you mean cracking right? May be body flex have you looked at it from outside with your system going to see where the stress spots are?

I do mean cracking. The light itself wasn't broke, I believe it still works. Just the bracket that held it broke. So had to order the whole assembly (which of course includes a light) which yeah. And nothing else is cracked or seems to have problems. Just that one tail light. But as far as seeing where the stress spots are? No, I haven't. I will soon though. Gotta take it somewhere kind've private cause where I live... people are stuck up haha.

And honestly, I do think it's a design flaw. I mean google it. Who puts the light right there? If you look at almost every other car in existance, where is the 3rd tail light (aka the braking light) located? In the back window or on the back window. Damn mitsu put the light right there on the trunk. That's why I say, when I get the money, that light is moving. Take to a body shop or whatnot and fill the hole, move the light to inside my back window.

Again, do appreciate all the input!

Edited by WastedTalent

Sheena = pedobear

mines on the trunk. IMO its way better for them to be there vs inside. ive taken mine apart thou and i can see how it would easily break but im sure theres a way to rig it up to stay better then factory. do u have any pics of what urs looks like? from the inside

20120425_142430_thumb.jpg

I don't have any pics from the inside. But on both sides, probably about an inch away from where the light ends, there's a bolt holding a bracket. The bracket has the light. And at least for mitsu, not sure about cobalt, can't get the bracket without the light. I can upload a pic of the broke light. Was thinkin of uploadin pics of car anyways. May be a project for me this week. pics of the head unit, amp, 2nd batt, subs enclosed in box. Take like 2 mins to do the pics, maybe 10 or so to upload.

So wouldn't suprise me if with yours, about an inch from where the light ends on both sides, you have bolts or something holding your light. Just pos plastic.

But as far as being inside? Nah man. I mean I could see if it's inside the spoiler or whatnot cause that'd suck but some cars have their light inside their car right along the back window. That would be the best. I mean easy to get to and all. Unlike in the trunk where you gotta take down the liner (all they had to do).

Sheena = pedobear