Second Skin Audio

Maybe my subs just suck? (response curve issue)

Ok i go t a box design from joeX, Thanks again btw, tuned to 32hz and while it seems that i built it correctly, I'm not really getting much output at the tuned freq.

Basic facts first.

87 accord hatch

subs are kenwood w3013ps (any guesses on what p.s. stands for?) Freq response 34-300hz, fs is 25hz

Box specs below (i flared the port is the only difference)

Subs up port up (slightly louder than subs back port back, way better than subs forward port forward)

infrasonic @ 20hz

Lpf 80hz

I have ran through test tones and it seems that i get the least movement from my subs pretty much right where the tuning is. Which from my understanding of enclosures is the simplest way to tell what an enclosure is tuned to. So anyway, the freq response of the subs is 34 to 300hz and the fs is 25hz.

It seems like the response curve from 40 to 25 drops very sharply, peaks 40 to 65 then drops off again.

So my question is do i pitch the kenwwod w3013ps's and go with a different set of subs or is it my car or what? the car is an 87 accord hatch.

Let me know if i left anything out.

Box design as follows

If the subs (kenwood) and the car (trunk car) are those on your build log then here is a suggestion:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33 Hz

Vb = 3.9 ft^3

External Height = 17 in

External Width = 34 in

External Depth = 20.5 in

Port Width = 3 3/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 15 1/8 x 15 1/2

2x Front Internal = 13 5/8 x 15 1/2

Back = 34 x 15 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 19 x 15 1/2

Top & Bottom = 34 x 20 1/2

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 17 1/8 x 15 1/2

2 x Extension = 6 9/16 x 15 1/2

kenwood.jpg

Let me know any questions.

fyi, just because it is tuned to 32, doesnt mean it will be loud at 32. Also the box design is probably the issue, but probably followed by other issues.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I tend to agree with the tune, idd say you would peek at 37-40hz

Myself with that sub I would be more inclined to go 2.5net @41-42hz as that sub is more suited to a sealed box,

But without knowing what you expect from them it would only be my opinion

Edited by john253a

This may be a long shot ... But I thought Kenwood subs are more musical subs ...

Might try a get sone screen for the ports and install a bag of polyfill into each chamber and see what happens ...

just a suggestion ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I tend to agree with the tune, idd say you would peek at 37-40hz

Myself with that sub I would be more inclined to go 2.5net @41-42hz as that sub is more suited to a sealed box,

But without knowing what you expect from them it would only be my opinion

Well, i expect them to play well at tuning not just give up. It's really bad actually. So lets say i throw a pair of vvx's in that box, would i be disappointed? I really don't want to build another box again and i'm limited with dimensions, there is only so much room in the back of that car.

edit*

btw, I'm leaving for work so if i don't reply instantly that's why.

Edited by strangeduck

i think you'll be better off with the sa12 in that box, the skar will work just as well, but with the high tune i feel the sundown will outperform it.

but it will come down to power, and the box being built and sealed properly,

did you fit the 45"s in the port and radius or 45 the inner wall, as this is very important,

also, ANY sub can hit decently low notes, mid 30s with authority. Box designs are box designs, it is hard to KNOW what truly works without experimentation. So i would try what cablguy said and try some poly fill, it will be very cheap and a quick easy test to try out.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/