What to use when tuning your system..

Evening all,

So I have been doing some research over the past few week's but I cannot find any information regarding this.

My query is, when it comes to tuning your system for either "loud and clear" or a sound quality build, what are the differences in using say, a head unit with a built in crossover/equalizer (say the Pioneer DEH-80PRS or similar units), a separate equalizer (Rockford 3sixty.2 or similar) or the crossover settings on an amplifier (Sundown Audio I heard has a good crossover).

So are there any major difference's with using different component's to tune and control frequencies in your system, or is it one of those times where it is just a matter of choice?

If you were to use an equalizer, would that mean you wouldn't need to adjust the amplifier crossover as much or at all (if you were using a separate amp for each component) or would it be better to tune it at one put, then refine the tuning at the second point?

Sorry if this isn't making sense.

<p style="margin-left: 40px">well being a noob at this, correct me if im wrong. A headunit has a limited band of frequencys that you can adjust. For the rockford 3 sixty .3 it has 248 bands of equalization possibilities. It has the ability to fine tune your system. And with mulitple outputs you can use monoblock amplifiers -mid and tweet amplifier without loosing pre out voltage. Here is the website- tell you a whole lot more of capabilities. <a href="http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=117203">http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=117203</a></p>

<p style="margin-left: 40px">As far as the other stuff. I dunno</p>

well i start with set the gains right with test tones an dd-1 and/or o-scope

i would guessmate you crossover setting on your amps or used cc-1

if you have an 7 or more EQ i would put the levels flat and run some pink noise and use an RTA

and then set your level

1996 Chevy Tahoe

AKA My SQ Hoe

Pioneer AVH-X2800BS

Precision Power PC.18DS

MB Quart NA540.6

Skar Audio RP-2000.1D

55-3210 -  8 Inch MCM AUDIO SELECT

Rockville RXM64

Tymphany BC25SC06-04

Kenwood KFC-1795PS

well i start with set the gains right with test tones an dd-1 and/or o-scope

i would guessmate you crossover setting on your amps or used cc-1

if you have an 7 or more EQ i would put the levels flat and run some pink noise and use an RTA

and then set your level

You use a lot of equipment to tune your system !

I just use my ears and a well recorded cd.

dd-1 and cc-1 won't save your life. You will still need to use your ears as all songs are not recorded the same. I don't even talk of bad mp3 songs that will sound bad whatever you do !

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

It will be difficult to set your xover settings based off an amp. Even with a CC-1, you are going to be limited in setting control as most amps have less then helpful xovers to begin with. I would open up the xover settings on the amp and let the deck control your points. Get a good clean signal, set your balance, then work on some points that sound good to YOUR ear.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

When setting large systems, especially back when I did SQ competitions, I always preferred an active pre-amp EQ.

The reason for this is ease of adjustability and the ability to use pre-sets.

The Head Units EQ function is pretty basic and does not have the flexibility of good active EQs. You can use the head unit or the amp adjustments and they may be the same quality, but there are slopes to take into consideration.

The adjustments on the amps are hard to get to in most installs, so I would set them flat, set the head unit flat and just sit in the seat and listen to a good CD and play with the EQ adjustments for hours and make a few presets for different types of music.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

So what you're saying is that you could use a headunit equlizer, but you are limited to the control you have because the headunit only has say a 7 band equalizer where as a seperate equalizer has a broader range of frequency (up to 153 on the 3sixty.2)?

So for curiousity sake, if you where using a pre-amp equalizer to a 2 channel amp for say, midbass and you tune it using the equalizer, would that mean you didn't need to use the high/low pass filter's on the amp? Or would you have to set it "flat"?