Sundown Audio

Audiophile amp reworking

8ight

I have always loved tinkering with and rebuilding any sort of amp or power supply. Naturally, I picked up a little hobby working on guitar amps for free lessons, and that is reworking amps for maximum sound quality. If I can find specs for the part in an amp, I'll replace that part with a better one. My question is, is there any money to be made in reworking amps for SQ?

Usual things I do to my amps once they are out of warranty, these are services I would offer:

-hand-wound inductors/transformers (yes, I wind them if I know the wire gauge and number or windings or else it's time consuming)

-Re-capping with audio grade caps of higher ratings than factory, done with ultra high grade Rubycon caps etc.

-Round copper buss bars (internal)

-Replace potentiometers for precision, and external knobs to eliminate the need for screwdrivers to adjust anything

-Gold plated RCAs/balanced inputs to resist corrosion

-Whole-amp internal EMI shielding

-Quiet internal cooling and cooling upgrades (quiet fans, blower fan exhausts, true heatsinks on MOSFET backs instead of cheap aluminum plates)

-Low resistance internal wiring (all internal lengths of wire removed, replaced with pure OFC wire, and bumped down a gauge or two)

-Protect buzzer (should amp go into protect, it will beep/buzz, so you know it's your amp immediately and you can turn off your system)

-Individual component grounding to eliminate internal ground loops, this is Linear Power's practice I borrowed

-Internal ground loop isolators on RCAs to stop engine noise/alternator whine

-MOSFETS polished front and back, thermal compound replaced with high-grade Shin Etsu paste, excess cleaned for looks after application.

-Complete internal cleaning and refinishing (amp completely torn down, cleaned, and reassembled with Shin Etsu thermal paste)

-High grade output section - usually don't do this as it is extremely time consuming and tedious work

I want to offer my services locally since I get asked pretty frequently when I tell people about it or they hear a re-worked amp. What do you think I could get away with charging? Should I offer services a la cart or in packages? both? I'd love to make a little cash on the side and hone in my soldering skills. Also, how complete, understandable, and interesting do you find the service list? I can clarify anything if need be.

I'm gonna hate

the issue you will have is that people will not want to pay you for your time. What you are describing is not an easy process. people will often balk at the price you tell them. You basically have to figure out what your time is worth to you and then factor in your supplies and parts.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I would keep it as a hobby or side job. The price would vary depending on what work needs to be done. Type up an agreement to protect your ass in case something goes wrong on their side. Come up with some plan to make people think they are getting a good deal. Maybe price comparisons to sending it in for repairs.

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

the issue you will have is that people will not want to pay you for your time. What you are describing is not an easy process. people will often balk at the price you tell them. You basically have to figure out what your time is worth to you and then factor in your supplies and parts.

It isn't easy, you're correct, but the fact that I enjoy doing it helps I suppose. They call those who do what they love and make no money "passionate" right? I need some feedback as far as determining a pricing sweetspot. I have also considered charging based on turnaround time and how hard the particular amp is to work on as cheap-os are much easier and the owner of a cheap-o will probably want to spend less, I am assuming.

I would keep it as a hobby or side job. The price would vary depending on what work needs to be done. Type up an agreement to protect your ass in case something goes wrong on their side. Come up with some plan to make people think they are getting a good deal. Maybe price comparisons to sending it in for repairs.

Hmm, I WILL definitely have some signed paperwork before I touch anything, I do this for PC repairs too. I know I would change the price based on the amount of work that's why I was thinking of packaging, sort of making it seem like a good deal. I have enough time to do a few amps a week so it will pretty much be side work. I'm thinking tiered pricing (3 packages: basic, premium, ultimate) and then I would allow the addition of a la cart services to any package. How does that sound?

I'm gonna hate

Do you have any pics of your work? This is quite interesting, but I think some more details along with pictures would help explain it better. This would definitely be a small segment of the market, but if someone was looking for this type of work, I'd think they would have the money to pay well for your services.

Also, what kind of performance difference would the end user see? I think if you had two amps, one stock and one modded, and could actually show people the difference both visually/physically, and audibly, you'd have a great selling point.

1989 Chevy Caprice Classic
350ci V8 High Performance

JVC Arsenal HU

JL XR series components

Infinity Reference 6x9s

Pioneer Premier 4-Channel

Clarion 2-Channel

Rockford Fosgate Series 1 2-Channel

Fusion 2000.1D

MTX Crossover

RF, Knu, Kicker, and Monster wiring

NVX VCW 12in. Sub **Won on here from the Sonic contest!**

*Build log coming soon!*

Starting all over pretty much which the gear listed...lost almost everything I had, including my life. Never take life and what's in it for granted.

Amp tune up, sounds like a cool idea, and who knows, maybe you can revive older amps that have parts wearing out as well.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I guess I might be willing to dish out 100 to 200 dollars to have all that done, but thats just me, i have no idea how much time you have in doing this so thats just a number i would be willing to part with.

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

Uh.. Id love to get my diamonds reworked, but im not paying you to "hone your soldering skills".. Thats a scary phrase

Even the best still practice, friend.

Whatever the price of parts plus 25-30 and hr for labor would be a start.

Hmm...

I'm gonna hate