Jump to content

Hands on with the Image Dynamics CTX65CS, an unboxing - lots of pics!


8ight

Recommended Posts

Posted

What a crappy day I have had today. I almost threw open my front door and screamed "WHAT!?" at the poor UPS man when he rang, but I'm glad I didn't! Instead, I happily received a heavy little box that I have been waiting on for some time now. What was in that box? Oh come on, it's in the damned title ;)

The boring old box...

qXhez.jpg

OK, this box is no longer boring, I got a laugh out of this one.

YLP3m.jpg

I flipped open the box and was greeted with some installation instructions and grilles for the midrange drivers.

WXKAg.jpg

Next I moved the grilles and went on to find something amazing, speaker wire... What's amazing about it you ask? It is of a useable gauge!

Ye4Yb.jpg

Alright, alright, on to the good stuff, loving the inverted dustcap, nice flat black finish on the face of the cone.

Qyg52.jpg

Midrange motor structures, boot removed to get an idea of the actual size, tank-tastic as the weight suggested earlier.

iOa2U.jpg

Terminals, leads, basket, spider pack.

eGDUh.jpg

On to the next box!

Ly6Yf.jpg

Remarkably simple crossovers, can't say that's a good or bad thing, if it works as intended I'll be satisfied. The installation instructions even has a little note stating "Because the speakers were so well designed yada yada the crossover can be simple yada yada..." Or something to that effect.

lR7W7.jpg

Extremely heavy little tweeters, they have neodymium motors stuffed inside of them, bless their poor little domes.

nX0oR.jpg

Back of tweeter mount.

0R6Sq.jpg

I haven't heard them yet but I can say a few things just from handling them: This set is appears to be very well constructed. The midrange drivers, tweeters, and even the simple crossovers all have considerable heft to them. Nothing feels flimsy. The suspension the midranges are equipped with is of average stiffness but it has a tight weave and seems pretty heavy duty considering its application. Screws stick to the backs of the tweeters like nothing else when they are out of their pods. I don't think ID is lying about the neodymium motors in them being serious business.

The grilles are ugly.

I'll post a full write-up and a sound/distance test video once they are installed. I don't see a whole lot of talk on the net about these so I thought I'd share my first impressions now.

:D

I'm gonna hate

Posted

They look nice, never heard them so get on with a review and video.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Posted

Awesome looking Component set Sir ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Posted

I'll get to the review when my sound deadening arrives and I can give them a proper install! Thanks Cablguy, I'm sure they'll sound good too!

I'm in the dictionary for jealousy! Super nice man!

I'll trade you for your subs! I'll pay to ship these to you and you just cover your shipping to me and we'll call it even ;)

There has to be almost none of those things left, run a google image search for "image dynamics idspl" and the only pics you'll find are out of your build log. You might be sitting on some valuable old beauties!

I'm gonna hate

Posted

Free air tested today, trying to resist making these into studio monitors. No mid bass kick to speak of unmounted, tweets are a little bright so I set them to -3db. Vocal reproduction is great. Good cone control as it appears to my eye.

I'm gonna hate

Posted

ditch them passive x overs and go full active

Gotta see how I like the sound first, I won't spend the money unless I have to. I know it would sound better, but this is a budget sql system, and I don't know the difference yet why further the addiction :P

I'm gonna hate

Posted

then the passives are good i ran my ID chamilions on the passives for a long time and sounded good now there on an alpine 701 and sound awsome

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

Posted

then the passives are good i ran my ID chamilions on the passives for a long time and sounded good now there on an alpine 701 and sound awsome

Dammit quit tempting me to buy things! Good to awesome is a green flower to white powder jump, my friend!

I'm gonna hate

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1234 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...