Second Skin Audio

Trying to find the best bang for the buck.

Hey what's going on one and all? So I have an issue. I have a 1986 pontiac firebird that I'm restoring. And based on all the measurements I have done. I have concluded that my trunk has a 12.7 cubic feet dip in the back and i'm trying to find a good pair of subs preferably 2 12's that can take full advantage of that kind of space and pound hard. I also want to make it a ported box as I listen to hip hop the most out of all the genres of music. All I want to do is make a flip up top piece that will cover the top of the dip to turn the dip in the trunk into a box itself. I think its called a free flow box? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Budget? Do you already have an amp? What's your cars electrical like? What's your goals, SQ, SPL, or somewhere in between?

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

I dont really have a budget. But the cheaper the better. I'm not looking for anything competition level. Just something that will rattle my windows a little lol. Car electrical is brand new. Plus I have a dry cell 14V battery. And to be honest I have no clue what SQ or SPL is. So I'm gonna say a happy medium would be nice.

SQ is sound quality. ( with a good sq system you can basically close your eyes and be able fell like you are right in front of the music being played)

SPL is sound pressure level. ( SPL is just that. how loud can you get it.)

as far as your question Sundowns SA series subwoofers are definitly a bang for your buck and will get pretty loud but still have the ability to reproduce music fairly well.

Edited by Maebros

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

Not sure I follow the whole "dip" thing... Are you talking about the spare tire well?

And you can't really use it as the box itself. You would have to make a fiberglass mold of it and use that as the box.

12.7 cuft.? You might be able to fit a couple 18's in that space... At least some 15's.

Edited by LZTYBRN

I'm wondering if 2 15's might be optimal for the way my trunk is designed. I was looking at the kicker L7 15 inch and it fits 6 cubic feet ported. So I might go that route and buy 2 to fill my 12 cubic feet. Has anyone seen a third gen firebird or camaro trunk before? How its designed?

i would check the build logs on here. you might find something you like.

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

The way the third gen camaro and firebirds were made you had the back seat then behind the back seats was the trunk but in the very back is a trunk "well" its not the spare tire compartment.