Buzzing Noise... Front Channel Only, Tried All I Know To Do ?

trainman0978

O.k. put the JL 3 way components in the truck yesterday, put my kenwood 6"x9" s in the back, ( could let them sit on the shelf ) in boxes on the wheel humps. Truck sounds fantastic !! except I am getting a buzz out of the 4" and the tweet on both sides, but not the 6.5" on either side, and no buzz coming out of the 6x9 s . It is a engine sensitive noise, cause it gets louder when you accelerate. It is barely noticeable, but since the 4 s and the tweets are up high on the dash i notice it, and when the radio volume is down I notice it, after about a quarter of the way up it gets drowned out completely. I tried regrounding the amp and I even got the wire wheel on the dremel tool and made sure it was good bare metal. I tried a RCA inline noise canceler that I had in the tool box- hooked it to the front channel but no dice, still noise. I was running the amp as a bridged two channel before and now I am using it as a four channel. I know there was no noise when I ran two channels, but it is there now. I even reset the amp, but no go. I am wondering if it has to do with the crossover boxes, I just took some 3m double sided tape and stuck them on the fire wall on each side, didn't seem like it would be a problem account that the back of the crossover boxes is plastic.????? Can I do some checks with a multi meter? Did my amp finally give me the finger? It is right at two years old. ?????? my list of goods is in my sig.. thanks :)

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

bump.... and would this be considered " noise floor " as I read in another thread? i didn't realize that it made the noise with the stereo off and the truck on until I took my face plate off to go to work last night :( Not good? I am thinking that I may need to mount my crossover boxes on a piece of MDF to help isolate them from the noise of mt trucks electrical system.... ? yes? no? I will be back home tomorrow so I will play with it some more.....

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

what you are getting is electrical noise introduced into your wires. isolate them from your vehicles factory wiring as much as possible. try moving your x-overs and wires out from under the dash and see if the noise dissapates also your rcas may need to be grounded to get rid of the noise. I generally dont like to put x-overs in the dash as there is way too many electrical componants there that can introduce "engine" noise.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

what you are getting is electrical noise introduced into your wires. isolate them from your vehicles factory wiring as much as possible. try moving your x-overs and wires out from under the dash and see if the noise dissapates also your rcas may need to be grounded to get rid of the noise. I generally dont like to put x-overs in the dash as there is way too many electrical componants there that can introduce "engine" noise.

crossovers are good. they are brand new. Thanks roscoe, this is my first component set, so I am learning, looks like I will have to move them and run new (longer wires) speaker wires to accomodate the move. thanks again.

My Kulicki Box Build

Well I got out there today and messed around a bit, when I take the crossover off the firewall and held it in my hand and pulled it away from under the dash the noise goes away. Both sides, although the left is picking up a little more noise than the right side is... So when I have time I am gonna move them to the back and run wires all the way up front, My FJ back seat is kinda like a tahoe backseat, so I will probably put them onto that elevated floor under it. There is never any kind of dirt or anything under those seats, so they should be very safe there. I am planning on a sundown amp for sure and it will go there as well.

My Kulicki Box Build

• 2 weeks later...

Noise is gone...:) :) couldnt get the crossovers under the back seat. the seats are molded to fit right flush with the floor. I put the crossovers on the back of the center console, mainly cause I didn't feel like making a MDF board to fit the shape of the back of the rear seats, which I will have to do when the new sundown 4channel arrives in a few weeks. I plan to get another set of JL 6.5 XR components for the back seats, and I will put those crossover boxes on the back of the seats with the amp. But BIG lesson learned here. Crossover boxes dont belong in or under the dash of a FJ cruiser. !!!

My Kulicki Box Build

Archived